Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finding Swarms  (Read 2971 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Finding Swarms
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:40:29 am »
When you guys/gals find swarms, are you out looking for them or do you just happen to stumble across them or ??? I would like to try my hand at capturing a swarm. I know what to do if one is found, but finding one is a mystery to me.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Finding Swarms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:47:30 am »
Most of the swarms I found were by simple dumb luck

Keith

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:54:16 am »
google swarm removal.  put your name on some of the lists you find.  get your  name on the list on this site.  list on craigs list.  put up fliers at feed stores, or your local beekeeping store.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:41:15 am »
Yes Kathy is right, get your name out there.  Most of the ones I've gotten are because people know we keep bees. 

David

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »
Big one is to get on the swarm list of your state and local beekeepers assoc websites.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:01 pm »
90% of my swarm calls come from exterminators. Call every one of them in your area and give them your contact info. Keep a catch box in each vehicle you own and one at home. They will not call again if you do not come or take hours to get ready. They want people who will come immediately.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 02:47:26 pm »
Join a local club.  I'm part of the swarm removal at the Pierce Co. Beekeepers and get lots of calls cause of that.  Also, go to your local fire department and let them know you're a local beekeeper and will catch swarms for free.  Seems lots of people like to call their fire dept when a swarm lands in their yard for some reason.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 03:07:22 pm »
We get a lot of swarm calls through our bee club swarm list, but this year we sent postcards to all the local exterminators in the yellow pages advertising free swarm catching ($35/ hour for cutouts) and the phone is ringing off the hook! good luck and hooray for free bees!
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »
I listed with the local Dept of Agriculture and got 2 phone calls from them so far. Also my beekeeping association list worked.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:00 pm »
Once I got past the " Good old boy club", the ones that the County Inspector calls first, I can't keep up with the removals. I get most of mine from people that knows someone that I do who knows that I keep bees. I have averaged a swarm a day, the past week. I have seen where people advertise in the local paper for swarm removals and on the local radio station. Once your name  gets out, be sure to have plenty of equipment around to keep up!
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 05:33:12 pm »
How late in the season does this continue to happen? I have two empty hives I'd love to populate :-D

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 05:58:41 pm »
You better start buying some equipment if you are going to advertise. I have filled about 20 this year and the season is just getting into swing. I have had at least one call every day this week.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:29:58 pm »
Do you find that most calls the bees are out of reach? I am not into climbing tree's 30' up.

What other type of equipment do you guys/gals bring along when you're called for a swarm (non-bee keeping, such as a saw or other equipment to help you get to or actually get the bees).

Thanks for all the information in this thread, it's been great so far!

Jeremy

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »
there is a removal section on here that has a lot of info and pics.  this year i have been fortunate to get lower swarms.  if they are more than 15 ft, i pass.  that's the hight my poll pruner will reach from the top of my ladder. 

i take a 5 frame cardboard nuc with one frame of drawn foundation in it.  i save a few frames from year to year just for swarms.  a tarp, pruners, some screening and duct tape, sugar spray with some lemongrass oil in it.  guess that's the main stuff.  swarms are pretty easy most of the time.

a bee vac would be nice, but i don't have one yet.  it's on my list........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »
I screen the caller for details. I keep my normal stuff in the truck all swarm season. I then grab ladder, pole and bucket, whatever, and go.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything