Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cluster movement, outside temperature.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Cluster movement, outside temperature.
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »
Assuming no windy and cloudy.  What is the lowest estimated outside temperature that the bees can still move to stores? 

Thanks. 

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Cluster movement, outside temperature.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:10:06 pm »
I think it would still depend on several factors.  Like the size of the cluster and the effect the hive setup(number of boxes, 8 or 10 frame, hive material 3/4" wood, 1.5" wood or polystryrene) I think a lot would depend on retention of heat from the cluster within the hive. ie a large cluster in a beemax can probably maintain cluster temp and mobility in colder outside temps than a small cluster in 3/4" 10 frame lang equipment.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:38 pm »
I've seen mine foraging on a sunny calm day at 29 F.  I think they were crazy, but they had a regular work force going somewhere...  I'm sure they could move stores if they can forage.  But in theory I'd figure 50 F.  I'm sure the sun was helping as was the dead calm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:03 am »
In theory if they are making cleansing flights it is generally warm enough for them to move stores.  But as MB states some bees (Russians and Carnies) will fly at close to +/-2 of 30 F.  My experience is that they generally won't move stores until the 2nd day of a mild up turn in temps, mid 30's or above.  The longer the up turn the more stores will be moved and the more cleansing flights are done.  One and 2 day warm ups can trap bees away from the cluster with a sudden cold snap. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!