Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to convert to all mediums while opening up brood.  (Read 1562 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
How to convert to all mediums while opening up brood.
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »
Hey all,
I have 3 hives (1 deep, 1 medium super), that I want to convert to all mediums.  Assuming that the queen has not moved back down to the deep, what do you think is the most efficient way to do this?

I also plan to use foundationless and keep the brood open to prevent swarming this spring as well.  Can I do this all at the same time...it would make things easier.

My main objective is to prevent all of my hives from swarming like they did last March, while making the boxes lighter to work with.  Any advice would be great!
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: How to convert to all mediums while opening up brood.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »
Queen in medium ---- queen excluder between medium and deep. I would place medium on bottom for ease of handling. After brood hatches in deep (if any)--- pull and extract honey if needed (or keep frames for feeding)!!! Add mediums as needed.

If queen is not in deep and no brood, just remove it and handle as you like. If empty no problem, just remove. If honey in deep---- feed or extract. If you are taking their feed you may have to supplement until flow in your area. 

I have not had much luck with the foundationless  :-\. I tried without feeding and it didn't work for me. I belive it was a timing error on my part.
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm#moving
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

An excluder will keep the queen out of the deep, as mentioned.  Wait until it's warm enough that she won't get left behind.  Make sure there is some brood with the queen in the medium even if you have to cut a comb of it out of one of the deep frames and tie it into a medium.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:24:59 am »
Assuming Georgia,

I would go fast and dirty!

1. I would find and cage the queen.
2. Then I would run my deep frames through the table saw at 6-1/4" (caution if wired!)
3. I would add a third medium.
4. Return the queen loose to reassembled hive

Once a strong population in all three boxes, I would rotate out the cut off frames.

This way you do not mess with an excluder and possibly chill the queen.
You use most of your established resources (minus the 2" of the deep frames).
You still capitalize a empty deep box (to sit on while you watch your bees).
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

anything