Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellowjackets up to something, but what?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
Yellowjackets up to something, but what?
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:23:32 pm »
It's a lovely fall day here and I was just sitting whiling away some time sitting beside the hive when I notced maybe a dozen yellowjackets flying around at ground level.  They didn't seem to be interested in the hive itself, but looked like they were digging around amongst the bodies of the fallen bees.  Any idea what they might be up to?

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
Re: Yellowjackets up to something, but what?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:02 pm »
They are probably planning a coup. Seriously though, I read in the photos section that older bees have lots of honey stuck to their wings and hairs and such. I bet they are just licking the honey off dead bees.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:55:30 pm »
This late in the year, if you have any robbing going on. As I do, than they could be picking up the dead bees. After the bees fight, I have seen dozens of yellowjackets eating the bees.
They like to hang out at ground level of strong hives, and snatch every little thing that the bees throw out. Even larva, ect. I have seen bees remove larva from the hive, and I was going to get it when they dropped it to see what it was, it looked like the bee handed it to the yellowjacket they took it so fast, within seconds there were over 8 yellowjackets fighting over it. Now that I think about it, they are probably removing some drone brood about now, just watch them, I'll bet thats what they are after also.

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:23:26 pm »
I posted a while ago about that too, but activity died down, and no robbing occured. It apperared they were just scooping up the summer foragers, who died of old age/too much work. You may want to reduce entrances, if you havent already, just to be safe.

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:11:42 am »
I have the same scenario - yellow jackets flying around at ground level to see what is in front of the hive.

I have seen them eating dead bees and larvae and some pollen once, but I have not seen any problems with them trying to get into the hive.

I would be more worried, personally, if there were a lot but I have seen maybe 4 at a time, at the most.

I actually had more of a problem with bumble bees. I have some herbs near the hive and the bumbles were working the blooms. Sometimes they would land on the entrance board of the hive to rest and boy did that make the girls mad! Ultimately they seemed to draw a truce, however!

- Jess

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:42 am »
Hi all!

All of the same here!

Today, the temperature here in Northern New Jersey reached 70 + so it was a great day. After work, I went to my hive and sat on my chair and lit up a Maduro cigar and observed the bees and the dying vegetable garden for 2 hours.  Drones being evicted from the hive in great numbers. Some just laid there in the grass helplessly as others were litterly being carried by angry female workers and thrown from the bottom board to their death.  I observed dozen yellow jackets and one huge red hornet feasting on dead and dying drones. Some yellow jackets ganged up on this poor drone and ripped his stomach open.. In minutes they dismembered him leaving his torso and head while others feasted on the dead and dying.  There was one drone that attempted to leave the grass while a yellow jacket got a hold of his leg. Although he was much bigger the carnivorous wasp dragged him down under in the grass and proceeded to dismember him alive. He did not stand a chance as the attacker made quick work of his entrails...! Poor guys... In the morning there will be a repeat of the same with the survivors either freezing to death or dying attempting to go back.  I strongly feel this hive will make it through the winter for they have 2 medium suppers filled with ripen honey and one deep & medium brood chambers filled with brood, honey and pollen. Next spring after the basswood and white clover run my family and friends will be feasting on honey!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:46:28 pm by Rodni73 »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 06:57:53 am »
They are looking for fresh meat to take back to their young.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin