Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are they doing?  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
What are they doing?
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:35:14 pm »
So after being robbed all the bees left and the hive has been quiet. A couple of days ago I saw bees coming and going from the hive again. I thought the robbers were back but there was nothing inside the hive for them to take. I noctied more and more bees coming through out the day. I thought I would seal up the hive during the night because all the robbers would be gone and no bees would be in the hive. I opened the lid and shined my light in. There were bees on the inner cover, on some frames, and on the inside of the outer cover. Strange? Im thinking a swarm or another hive has moved in. Today I went to check on them and saw a cluster of bees on the ground in front of the hive. Bees were coming and going from the bottom entrance but most were going to the ground with the cluster. WHy? here are some pictures of what I saw.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: What are they doing?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:47:59 pm »
Do you have wax capping on the ground  :? ??

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:08:34 pm »
I cleaned the bottom board off because it was full of cappings and wax from the robbery. So yes.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:08:06 pm »
They might be cleaning every molecule of nectar & honey off the wax chunks?  I put all my crushed wax out for my bees (across the property) and they were all over it, was amazing! They even turned chunks over to get what was on the bottom.  I wish the kids & DH would be as thorough!  J.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »
They might be cleaning every molecule of nectar & honey off the wax chunks?  I put all my crushed wax out for my bees (across the property) and they were all over it, was amazing! They even turned chunks over to get what was on the bottom.  I wish the kids & DH would be as thorough!  J.

DIDO

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:11 pm »
Ok, so if they are not fighting are they all form the same hive? DO robber bees stay overnight in a hive that is abandon? I guess I need to check tomorrow to see if there is a queen inside.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »
They could be from your hives and anywhere.  I don't see bees fighting on flowers so away from home they may just focus on getting what they need before others do.  I would check the hive to see what's going on exactly.  I would venture to say that robbers would take their booty back to their own homes.  J.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 01:16:08 am »
when they absconded did they leave behind any caped brood-that might hatch out- RDY-B

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:03:39 pm »
There was no brood at all. The queen was laying eggs but I dont think she had enough nursery bees to help. I did notice cells like Cindi had posted about laying workers. I saw mutiple egs, 4 some times more, at the bottom of the cells. I have not seen a queen as of yet but Im checking the hive later today. Today tehre are lots of bees hanging from the bottom of the entrance as if tey are checking bees as they come in. I have not seen any fighting for a long time now so all I can do is hope for the best. DO you think its a good idea to put a feeder with syrup inside?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 05:04:51 pm »
Ok just got done checking on the bees.  :) :) When I opened the lid I could hear a strong buzzing sound. Have not heard that in a long time. I took out two frames from the top hive body, a deep 10 frame :-\, and did not see any eggs, larva, or that many bees. Well there were more because all mine were gone. Anyway I looked down into the bottom hive body and noticed bees on top of the frames aas if the frames were full :?. I decided to take off the top hive body and noticed it was sticing to the bottom, strange because I just had it off a week ago. After getting the top body off I had to just setp back and cry. I saw the frames were bubbling with bees and there was bridge comb and burr comb all over, just read the post about wood vervus plastic and yes tehre was lots of burr and bridging on the plastic frames.

Ok where was I, oh yes. I noticed the outside frames had a very light white comb, im guessing honey stores without the honey, and the center appeared to be darker. I pulled out one of the center frames and never seen so many bees  :shock: I looked down at the other two frames beside it and saw thousands of bees, well maybe hundreds. I dont think I even started out with so many bees. I tried to find the queen but there were so many bees on the frame I could not tell. I figured with so many bees I most likly have a queen and did not want to disrupt her or make the hive mad.

When checking the hive I used smoke, because I watched John's video and he with everyone else have said to use the smoke. I did not have very much but noticed the bees did not care that Iw as there and were no even on my gloves or flying around the veil :lol:

Now that there are lots of bees in the hive should I feed them since there are no honey stores? Probably so but I thought I should ask. How do I find a queen with so many bees on the frames? Is there a trick to it. I have always been able to find my other two but like I said there are so many bees that I am not use to.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 06:35:56 pm »
Well I decided to feed the bees today and give them a litle sprinkle of medacine. I took out two frames to look for the queen and I found her. She is in the last picture by my finger. She's not the one I paid for because she is twice her size and FAT. Sorry it was not a close up but my daughter was taking the pictures again and was scared because she has never seen so many bees. The other pictures are of the bees that moved into the hive and as you can tell there is lots of capped brood.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:48:34 pm »
the queen is in the first and second pics also-was that the same frame -RDY-B

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:53:57 pm »
Didnt see here there. Yes it is the same frame just different sides. Good eye. Ill try to find her. Wow I did find her towards the right of the frame. You have great spotting abilities. By the time I saw her she was at the top and going over the top to the other side. I zoomed in the pictures and saw lots of eggs and larve. Im so happy and excited!