Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got 50 bucks to spend  (Read 3858 times)

Offline drake

• New Bee
Got 50 bucks to spend
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
I recently found a AMEX gift card that had 50 dollars, that I misplaced a long time ago.  Anyways, if you ever had an AMEX gift card, after a period of time they start charging the card $2.50 monthly as a "service" charge for keeping the account open and that time is starting to come near.

So, I got a card i must spend before they start taking the money away. 

In your opinion, what should I invest this 50 bucks in? I was thinking putting it into medium boxes or perhaps 100 frames  (if i can find them cheap enough) mainly cause they take some time to build out.  My goal for this coming year is to have 2 full hives with medium boxes.  As a side note, I am starting from scratch since Hurricane Ike destroyed my stuff.

Any commit appreciated,
drake

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Got 50 bucks to spend
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:51:41 pm »
50 bucks can buy you 50 medium frames from Mann Lake.  Since the boxes are easier to self manufacture than the frames I'd by the frames.  Over the years I've always found myself more in need of an occasional frame more than a box.  Frames can break (especially when stung is sensitive spots) and get dropped, or come apart because they were put together in a rush and now what?

When I work a yard, other than my own, I always keep a couple of extra frames in the bee equipment bucket.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:40 am »
Send me the gift card and I will use it wisely deal with the beer fund.  :evil:

If you can get yourself some frames and bottom boards. If you are handy, buy the wood to make boxes from Home Depot.

If your local pawn shop takes the gift card buy yourself a compressor and nail gun. To make boxes and frames with.

If you are married you can only spend it on your wife and should not be here asking us about it. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:45:28 am »
Amex must be better than Visa. My brother for a Visa gift card and forgot about it, well 8 months later it has $22 useable money after the " :shock:service charges"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:57:36 am »
Send me the gift card and I will use it wisely deal with the beer fund.  :evil:
If you are married you can only spend it on your wife and should not be here asking us about it. :)
Sincerely,
Brendhan

Brendhan, personally, I think you are one funnnnneeeee dude!!!  Spend it on Janel!!!  Have that most beautiful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline drake

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 05:23:39 pm »
So i looked at several places online to determine where to purchase items, and none of the main suppliers that i looked at accepts AMEX cards.

Are there any major suppliers out there that take AMEX cards, or someone that would willing to exchange card for equipment ?

drake

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:34:52 pm »
You can use a paypal account and pay Paypal with Amex.Use that as the card for your paypal bill.Paypal will give you a temp credit Card number to use online shopping good for 1 transaction or multiple transactions with the same merchant.Look up the plugin feature on Paypal that adds a plugin to your web browser to use for these transactions.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »
yep, Brendan has the right idea........Go buy a 12 pack of corona and a couple steaks! Ansd, if you smoke, get some cigarettes...That should all be about 50$. Then you can sit around, drinkin' smokin' and grillin'...And think about buying bee stuff! :)

your friend,
john

Offline drake

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 07:21:54 pm »
Buzzbee, I'll look into that, I just don't like using paypal when I don't have to (already have an exsisting account).

As for spending/wasting my money on alcohol, your crazy if you think I am going to use it for beer or liqueur, especially since I make my own.  And to send it to someone w/o sending something in return that i am seeking is just stupid.

So in light of that, stop saying send to me or spend it on alcohol when i clearly stated that I wanted to spend on beekeeping equipment.

drake

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:27:42 pm »
Geez Drake, Lighten up man!!!
 Personally,( And keep in mind, I'm speakin' for myself here) I could give a squat about what you spend your money on.
 Secondly, you didnt "Clearly State" S***!...You asked for opinions on what to spend your money on.
 Yep,... Its unfortunate that you have hurricane problems, But, did your sense of humor wash out to sea?

john

Offline drake

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:55:57 pm »
I came here, seeking advice and nothing more. If I was posting about something non-bee related, I would of done it in "THE COFFEE HOUSE" or if I wanted to be funny, in "HUMOR is a FUNNY THING" or some other section down there on the main forum page.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
buy a good veil -a box and ten frames you can make your own bottom and top to get buy on -and catch a swarm and you will be on your way -once you have bees again you will always find someway to pay for the rest -even if it is from getting paid small fees for bee removal or catching swarms -SKYS THE LIMIT- 8-)  RDY-B

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:48 pm »
 NOW you're "Clearly Stating" your position on your previous post. I would have said the same thing to anybody who asked me what they should do with 50$. especially since I am a total stranger. I found it very humorous that you asked such a question. I really thought you were joking!
 I don't think anybody here will be giving you anymore silly advice in the future. Some of us just see through different colored glasses, thats all! My glasses make me see things in a totally different light than most people i suppose.
 Now, after posting this, I view you as somebody who doesnt have many good times.....And, I'm pretty sure, you see me as a "Jerk".
 Thats cool though.....I can deal with that!...It takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round, right?
Ok,...there ya go.......If God luvs ya, I luv ya!

john

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:56 am »
50 bucks can buy you 50 medium frames from Mann Lake.  Since the boxes are easier to self manufacture than the frames I'd by the frames.  Over the years I've always found myself more in need of an occasional frame more than a box.  Frames can break (especially when stung is sensitive spots) and get dropped, or come apart because they were put together in a rush and now what?

When I work a yard, other than my own, I always keep a couple of extra frames in the bee equipment bucket.

+1

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:16:26 pm »
Buzzbee, I'll look into that, I just don't like using paypal when I don't have to (already have an exsisting account).

As for spending/wasting my money on alcohol, your crazy if you think I am going to use it for beer or liqueur, especially since I make my own.  And to send it to someone w/o sending something in return that i am seeking is just stupid.

So in light of that, stop saying send to me or spend it on alcohol when i clearly stated that I wanted to spend on beekeeping equipment.

drake
relax mellow every thing is just in fun spirit and johnnybigfish and Brendan are good people and if it were me I would buy beer a good cigar and two T bone's and RELAX  :evil: And stupid is a very hard word there is no stupid people here!!!!! there is only good people who love bee's and a good time :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:28:07 pm »
50 bucks dont buy much LOVE dose it- :-D Its all good let us know what you spend it on -one piece of advice i would like to pass on is -you will no dought find a person that lives in your area to pall up with about bees -when you get out of the truck take a real good look around -because there you will be -many types of keepers and havers its all good  ;)  RDY-B

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:38 pm »
I came here, seeking advice and nothing more. If I was posting about something non-bee related, I would of done it in "THE COFFEE HOUSE" or if I wanted to be funny, in "HUMOR is a FUNNY THING" or some other section down there on the main forum page.

AND

Drake:

Cool your jets a bit please, if some people here try to strike up a conversation either WITH you or around you, you don't have to respond to every post. We try to make friends, learn and have fun here, hope you can do all three.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything