Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee supplies near Springfield, MA?  (Read 5224 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Bee supplies near Springfield, MA?
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:16:50 pm »
Until now almost all my purchases have been through  mail order. Anyone know of a place within a couple of hours from springfield, ma?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Bee supplies near Springfield, MA?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:14:48 pm »
 You got 4 I know of

www.betterbee.com            Greenwich. NY  

www.lagrantshoneybees.com   Ware, MA.

www.warmcolorsapiary.com/    Deerfield, MA.

www.nebees.com               Tynsboro, MA

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:42:08 pm by buzzbee »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline reeegs22

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:00:38 pm »
There is also a place in Tewksbury, MA.  If you google nebees you should be able to find their website  :-D
:-) Mary

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:36:13 am »
they raise bee's in Maine  :shock: ? I thought they only raised snow men  :-D :evil:  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:00:11 am »
      TwT....
MA. is Massachusetts         :-D

ME. is Maine                     :shock:   

BEE HAPPY Jim134    :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:59:15 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:24:25 pm »
Yes, we raise bees in Maine :P

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
      TwT....
MA. is Massachusetts         :-D

ME. is Maine                     :shock:   

BEE HAPPY Jim134    :)

aint no difference, its still Siberia USA, snow man season just might not last as long there  :-P :-D
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:25 pm »

HAHAHA  TwT !!!!!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:40:23 pm »
I think TwT is right.  People (and bees for that matter) were not intended to live this far north.  I hate the cold and I hate shoveling snow even more.  Shovel the driveway.  Shovel the porch.  Shovel a pathway to the chicken coop.  Shovel a path to the enourmous wood pile I have to keep from freezing to death.  Shovel a path to the beehives and be sure those entrances are clear.  :roll:

HURRY UP SPRING!!!
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:08:06 am »
I think TwT is right.  People (and bees for that matter) were not intended to live this far north.  I hate the cold and I hate shoveling snow even more.  Shovel the driveway.  Shovel the porch.  Shovel a pathway to the chicken coop.  Shovel a path to the enourmous wood pile I have to keep from freezing to death.  Shovel a path to the beehives and be sure those entrances are clear.  :roll:

HURRY UP SPRING!!!
You're both wrong, people shouldn't live in the south, it's too darned hot to move for most of the year.  The snowblower makes quick work of all those paths - you'll never hear me complain about the weather in January!  :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:45:18 am »
I think TwT is right.  People (and bees for that matter) were not intended to live this far north.  I hate the cold and I hate shoveling snow even more.  Shovel the driveway.  Shovel the porch.  Shovel a pathway to the chicken coop.  Shovel a path to the enormous wood pile I have to keep from freezing to death.  Shovel a path to the beehives and be sure those entrances are clear.  :roll:

HURRY UP SPRING!!!
You're both wrong, people shouldn't live in the south, it's too darned hot to move for most of the year.  The snowblower makes quick work of all those paths - you'll never hear me complain about the weather in January!  :evil:

Catch 22, I love the cold, been around snow some, skiing (Breckenridge, Vale) and visiting New Jersey yrs ago, I love to hunt in very cold temps, used to breaking ice on the way to the deer stand, our cold weather is cold!! 20F feels like -30F to you northerners, we got humidity, come on down when its 25F and 60% humidity, scares most northerners right back up!!! But our hot temps keep me in bees throughout the yr pretty much, in fact going on a swarm call in a few hrs, imagine that a swarm call, 911 call, on October 2, gotta love it.

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay, what's a swarm in October worth?

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »
I guess one thing about living in the south, there is not a high probability of getting your butt frozen to the fender of a car.   :-D :evil:

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:42 pm »
I guess one thing about living in the south, there is not a high probability of getting your butt frozen to the fender of a car.   :-D :evil:

David

:-D ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:36 am »
Actually if you check the USDA planting zone chart, you will see that Massachusetts coast (thats where my mum lives) is actually zone 6, which isn't very cold. Tennessee and Missouri have zone 6. Now where I am in Maine, it is much colder-zone 4. Mum has a condo in FL, and when I go down there, I can't even sleep at night.
I don't bother shoveling, unless I have to find the car. I just use snow shoes...

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »
Actually if you check the USDA planting zone chart, you will see that Massachusetts coast (thats where my mum lives) is actually zone 6, which isn't very cold.

Ummm....yea, I'll keep that in mind when it's 2 degrees.  It's just not that cold  :roll:  ;)

Trust me, it gets plenty cold here in zone 6a 20 miles south of Boston.  And stays that way for weeks at a time, some winters.  Others it's a balmy 40.  But it's been known to go to -15 and stay there for a day or two. 

Tennessee and Missouri have zone 6. Now where I am in Maine, it is much colder-zone 4. Mum has a condo in FL, and when I go down there, I can't even sleep at night.
I don't bother shoveling, unless I have to find the car. I just use snow shoes...

Yea, it's cold up in Maine, but there have been plenty of times when it's been colder here than at our home in Lebanon - or even in Greenville (Wunderground.com is your friend when you're trying to keep track of frequented placed).

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 08:13:14 pm »
Actually if you check the USDA planting zone chart, you will see that Massachusetts coast (thats where my mum lives) is actually zone 6, which isn't very cold. Tennessee and Missouri have zone 6. Now where I am in Maine, it is much colder-zone 4. Mum has a condo in FL, and when I go down there, I can't even sleep at night.

Right.   :?    The main thing to remember however is that in Tennessee and Missouri winter last just a few months.  Here in MA where it is only zone 5 or 6 winter temperatures last from early November and it doesn't get warm again until mid may.   June, July and August are the only truly warm months.  About 5 or 6 years ago I remember a stretch where it didn't get above freezing for at least 2 weeks in january. I remember because I went to Ecuador.  Stuff like that is enough to cause severe depression.  Points north is even worse of course. I think summer in Maine lasts for about 4 1/2 days. 

Zone 5 can expect temps to -20 right?  That is cold.  I dont care what anyone says. 

PS I just started my wood stove tonight. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 11:40:44 am »

Right.   :?    The main thing to remember however is that in Tennessee and Missouri winter last just a few months.  Here in MA where it is only zone 5 or 6 winter temperatures last from early November and it doesn't get warm again until mid may.   June, July and August are the only truly warm months.  About 5 or 6 years ago I remember a stretch where it didn't get above freezing for at least 2 weeks in january. I remember because I went to Ecuador.  Stuff like that is enough to cause severe depression.  Points north is even worse of course. I think summer in Maine lasts for about 4 1/2 days. 

Zone 5 can expect temps to -20 right?  That is cold.  I dont care what anyone says. 

PS I just started my wood stove tonight. 

I remember that winter, it was bad. I turned on my boiler last night. Winter is coming early this year :(

anything