Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newspaper Combine Question  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Newspaper Combine Question
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:14:59 pm »
Combining two smaller hives this (or maybe tomorrow morning).  How many sheets thick should the newspaper separating the two boxes be?  Should I make sure the paper sticks out the sides so that the bees cannot come around the edges?
Brian

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Newspaper Combine Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:25:54 pm »
when i did that i used one sheet of newspaper and i just laid it over the top bars of one hive and slitted it a little with my hive tool and then put the other hive on top. so the newspaper was bigger than the hives and i had a newspaper fringe around the outside of the hive. the bees neatly cut off the newspaper at the inside edges of the hive bodies.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:51:25 pm »
when i did that i used one sheet of newspaper and i just laid it over the top bars of one hive and slitted it a little with my hive tool and then put the other hive on top. so the newspaper was bigger than the hives and i had a newspaper fringe around the outside of the hive. the bees neatly cut off the newspaper at the inside edges of the hive bodies.

I 2nd that above, about 3 slits will work.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:09:43 pm »
I typically do 1 or 2 sheets.  No slits.  They combine is usually done after 24 hours.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:59:44 pm »
1 sheet.

Usually I make at least one small slit.  Sometimes I don't.  The hotter the weather the more likely I'll make a slit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:38:48 pm »
one sheet for me.  if it's hot you might want to give them an upper entrance.  you don't want them to cook before they chew through.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything