Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best book for beginners?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline NHKelly99

• New Bee
Best book for beginners?
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »
I would appreciate input on a step by step book for beginners. I feel very confused with so many different approaches to beekeeping. Each beekeeper has different theories. I need simple! I would like to keep the bees as free from chemicals as possible. Thanks.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Best book for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:40:06 pm »
I would appreciate input on a step by step book for beginners. I feel very confused with so many different approaches to beekeeping. Each beekeeper has different theories. I need simple! I would like to keep the bees as free from chemicals as possible. Thanks.

Best suggestion I can make is to find an old (pre-1960) edition of First Lessons In Beekeeping by Dadant ( I have an 1938 edition).  Then get a pamphlet about bee diseases and pests and you'll have as simple as any printed book can make it.   Post 1960, writer's got into advocating a particular method of beekeeping which only serves to confuse the beginner.   Beekeeping for Dummies is one such book.  Method's of beekeeping, IMO, are more for the intermediate beekeeper not the novice.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:53:46 am »
maybe not a classic, but I refer back to our libraries copy of Beekeeping for Dummies all the time - I like my "first lessons in Beekeeping" by Keith Delaplane, but I get more clear instruction from the dummies book.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:00:49 am »
Chemical free is something (I think) that most folks just started going towards. I'm sure folks have been talking it and doing it for years but I mean main stream chemical free talk. When I took my first class in 2005 (extension supported) they where recommending the typical treatment (antibiotic) every year. The next year they had changed to only treat if you find symptoms. Really upset an old-timer friend and mentor of mine  :shock:! He didn't like it at all! Things are changing fast as folks try to battle mites, shb, etc.

I guess my point is as you get more exposed you hear so many different thing. You have to sort through and kind of balance what is best for you. I don't think you will find many books written on a beginner level at this time that will get into to many chemical free approaches. It's a choice you have to make for yourself.

That being said, our class book was "Starting Right with Bees" and I also got "Beekeeping for Dummies" at about the same time (dummies has alot of pictures and you may be able to get it at the local library). I think the best resource is the forum and folks web pages (like Robo and MB) ;)!
John 3:16

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:18:18 am »
If you have fast dialup or DSL, here is an excellent resource.  :-D

: http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/agrs93.pdf

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:00:32 am »
Here is another good link:
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/BegBeekeeping.html
When you are ready to install a package ,if that is the route you go,try this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI

Offline Grant11

• New Bee
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »
ABC XYZ by Root

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 07:10:34 pm »
IMO, books on any subject tend to build upon one another.  The first book a reader takes up on a subject only begins the journey of learning.  I am quite confident that if any of us re-read the first book we used to start our beekeeping journey, we would view it differently that we did on first impression.  Pick up the most simple and move to the more detailed.  I used the Dummies book first and found it very entatainning and informative.  Not everything the author recommends works for me, but it was not his intention to conscript followers to his philosophies and habits of the craft.  The book is designed to pique the interest of the reader and give a basic understanding.  It does that quite well.  Other books build on that information (and often contradict it).  Forums such as this one and experience attemtping to implement what is learned also affect our understanding and our philosphies on how to keep and encourage the bees and beekeeping in general.  Learning to keep bees is a process and a journey.  It is not an event that will occur on the reading of a single publication.  Welcome aboard.  This is a fascination for me and many others that I am confident you will enjoy.
Brian

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:07:26 am »
I bought 4 or 5 beekeeping books last winter to prepare for getting my first bees this spring. I read most of them, but the one I kept going back to was Beekeeping for Dummies.

It has its flaws, but it's written in a very explanatory, logical sequence, explaining what you need to know when you need to know it, and I found it very helpful. I think it's also one of the few beekeeping books I've read where the author doesn't let his ego get in the way of the book's function. He makes it clear that there are lots of different methods for doing things, and he never starts piling facts on you just to show off how much he knows about bees.

It's not perfect, but it really is the best I've found for the beginner.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:58 am »
bee keeping for dummies or if you're on here or beesource.com

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33:42 am »
Hi,
I am a fellow beginner (1st yr.) and I have used 4 ref. books to get started.

"The backyard beekeeper"
This is a good book it has good info and great pictures.

"Beekeeping for Dummies"
The dummy book is helpful for step by step instruction's for sure and would recommend it.
I used it for the step by step pictures for installing a package of bees...really helpful for me.
I was so nervous about doing it and it worked for me.

"Keeping Bees" - by John Vivian
My son gave me this one and I really like it, he has a no-nonsense approach and you just end up trusting what he say's.
It's easy reading and down to earth I'd say it's my fav.

"The Hive and the honey bee"
This book is I guess is called the beekeepers bible and it's as thick as one.
It's very technical I tried reading it but it didn't hold my intrest, however I use it for a reference.

I found it's very confusing too, but each book has it's own value and you get a little from each.

"First Lessons In Beekeeping" I have not read, but I'm interested and will look for it.

The chemical thing is something I'm not going to do unless I see something is wrong with the bees.
I need to learn more about it for sure, but up to this point I've been focusing on learning
"Everything Else"

Good Luck
Paul

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:57:07 pm »
My first book was "The Beekeeper's Handbook" by Sammataro and Avitabile.   I still refer to it.

Remember your location will dictate how you keep your bees.  Join a local beekeeper association and learn from the locals.
Chuck and Fran

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 11:42:10 pm »
Card,

I think I just saw you today on the top bar hive forum. Am I correct?? Perhaps you just looked like someone else.

Annette

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:53:53 pm »
when I started out the book that I enjoyed and understood the best was "Starting Right With Bees" published by A.I. Root, it the best beginner book out their in my opinion and another benefit is it doesn't cost but about $8.00. very nice small book loaded with info.

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=454

2nd would be Beekeeping for Dummies, very nice beginner book also..

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 01:15:39 am »
Quote from: Annette
Card, I think I just saw you today on the top bar hive forum. Am I correct?
No, I'm sorry - but this is the only beekeeping forum I'm even registered on.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline flibby

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 10:01:19 pm »
Hey, I'm late here, but this is helpful - thanks! I've been trying to find books that are simple. I know nothing. I'm going to find and read all of these. The links are great too! The video of the installation eased my mind a bit, to see someone actually doing it, calmly. ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 11:08:30 pm »
Hey, I'm late here, but this is helpful - thanks! I've been trying to find books that are simple. I know nothing. I'm going to find and read all of these. The links are great too! The video of the installation eased my mind a bit, to see someone actually doing it, calmly. ;)

You will be fine. Whenever you are feeling worried, just tell us and we can walk you through it until you totally understand it. OK?? We have all been there and we help each other.

Wonderful night
Annette

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:21 am »
I do not think there is one book that will allow you to gain the knowledge of everything you will need to keep bees chem free, or any other way you may choose.

Some in my collection are:

"Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" by Dewey M. Caron. ISBN 1-878075-09-8 This is set up and used in college courses. Very well rounded book and discusses biology and some detailed information that may be lacking in some more pure forms of books centered on just keeping bees.

"Beekeeping for Dummies" ISBN 0-7645-5419-0 Not focused on any detailed way of keeping bees, and probably needs updated. But a nice read with many tidbits and information that the other books lack. Some is very basic, but a great way to build a foundation on beekeeping.

Ross Conrad's new book "Natural Beekeeping". (out on loan) Although I have many gripes about the book, it's the first attempt or the best attempt at a book focused on a more natural way of beekeeping. I find it useful but is all over the board with information.

If you want to get deep into bees, "Bees - Lectures by Rudolf Steiner". ISBN 0-88010-457-0 If you do not know what a "Steiner" school is , never owned a multicolored VW bug from the 60's, or never had hair beyond your neckline, this may be too much to read.  :shock:

ABC-XYZ (out on loan) Probably the best overall text on beekeeping details. The older books are good reference material but are dry, dry, and well....dry! The newer one that just came out is updated, but again, I find other books just more enjoyable to read. ABC-XYZ is one you grab for a fact or a detail you need to reference.

I think for one's path into beekeeping no matter which one you choose, the information will come from many sources. Ask lots of questions, realize when advice is being given from those with agenda's or from those with blinders on, and always be willing to try it yourself as nothing all that bad will happen. Have fun, and try something new without knowing much about it. You may be telling all us what you found out...  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:36:32 am »
Honey Bee Biology and Bee Keeping is an excellent book (im currently enrolled in Dr Caron's course) and if you buy it directly from him, he will send you a copy to preview at a substantial savings, mine was $30, and i also got a "gratis" copy of "Africanized Honey Bees In the Americas" by Dr Caron as well.

Beekeeping for Dummies was my first book, it's a good read, well written, and was the book that got me excited about beekeeping.

The Beekeepers Handbook is also a good book, it came with my starter setup from Mann Lake. Other than that, a Googling of the phrase "beekeeping pdf" (not beekeeping.pdf) will yeild MANY MANY great sources of information.
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

anything