Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rookie Question of the Week.  (Read 1899 times)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Rookie Question of the Week.
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:58:14 am »
Hey folks!
Been kinda busy of late and decided to update you all.

My newest swarm has been building like crazy, lots of comb and really packing in the honey. 3 times as much as my bigger hive. I had to move both colonies and they did ok, I took all the leftover field bee's and added them to the weak colony. They accepted them with grace.

OK here's the question:
How do I know if my workers are laying?

I see no sign of the queen at all after a VERY close inspection, no sign of new eggs and the brood frame I took form other hive is almost honey bound.
They have not built any queen cups and I'm alittle concerned that after the donor brood is gone they will perish.
My next move may be another combine with my healthy colony to insure it makes it thru the winter. Both are being fed and seem very calm. I often work with even a veil.( My girls love me I think, they hang out on me but never even buzz or sting.) Must be the gentle touch.

I do have queen cups in the large colony, but I'm alittle scared of taking any more brood from them. They don't seem to be making nearly as much honey.
I'm really leaning towards combining
Suggestions????

Thanks again for holding my hand...I really love this and can see it will bee a lifetime of pleasure for me.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Rookie Question of the Week.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:31:59 am »

OK here's the question:
How do I know if my workers are laying?

Multiple eggs in cells, usually stuck to the sides of the cell walls and not in the bottom of the cell.  No pattern to the laying.  Drone brood being reared in worker cells (pointy bullet looking).

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »
THANKS ROBO!!!

I'm REALLY excited, My lady and I were out to take a final look before combining the two colonies and.....SHE FOUND THE QUEEN!!!!!!

So..disregard the previous post...WE ARE QUEENRIGHT!!!!! Yes, we have queensign...hehe :-D

The other hive also has a big FAT momma...and they are making the darkest of honey. We finally had rain and tings are bloomin' mon! :mrgreen:

So, now all is qright with the world.
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:22 am »
 :-x

Well here.s another page in the life of a BeeK...Had the State Inspector out, This guy was VERY rough on my girls, killing more than a few in the process of going thru hive's. I wanted to install a few new frames and remove the plastic ones.

After we completed our inspection the 2 frames , which had a small bit of drawn comb on them were sitting outside the hive. My girl and I went back to get them....BIG SHOCK!!! Our large hive's QUEEN was on an empty frame, bakeing in the full sun. I almost pooped my rookie suit!! LOL

I put her on the hive entrance and she Scurried back into the hive like her butt was on fire. I was more than alittle upset. How is it that a man with 200 plus hives could allow this to happen.?

Thanks for letting me vent...whewww...I feel SOOO much better...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:25 am »
:-x

Well here.s another page in the life of a BeeK...Had the State Inspector out, This guy was VERY rough on my girls, killing more than a few in the process of going thru hive's. I wanted to install a few new frames and remove the plastic ones.

After we completed our inspection the 2 frames , which had a small bit of drawn comb on them were sitting outside the hive. My girl and I went back to get them....BIG SHOCK!!! Our large hive's QUEEN was on an empty frame, bakeing in the full sun. I almost pooped my rookie suit!! LOL

I put her on the hive entrance and she Scurried back into the hive like her butt was on fire. I was more than alittle upset. How is it that a man with 200 plus hives could allow this to happen.?

Thanks for letting me vent...whewww...I feel SOOO much better...

Not his hives and he's only looking for certain things so he doesn't care how he treats your bees.  I've seen it before, it's a shame they let such people become inspectors but since not a lot of people are interested in the job that's what you get.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything