Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how to get bees to draw a new super  (Read 2033 times)

Offline buckybee

• New Bee
how to get bees to draw a new super
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »
I have second year hive and the bees will not draw out my super.  I have plasticized wax foundation.  I've tried brushing with sugar water and leaving it on the bottom of the brood chamber for 2 weeks.  Then switched to new beeswax foundation and they will still not draw it out.  What can I do to get the bees to draw out the supers?  I have a new hive that will shortly be going thru the same process.  ps the weather has been good, I am still feeding.  I was told to remove the queen excluder and if they build a brood up there at least they will draw out the super. 

Offline kattz

• New Bee
Re: how to get bees to draw a new super
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:05:33 pm »
I have the same problem, I added a super almost 4 weeks ago and my bees have not started doing anything. The bottom brood box is all full lots of new bees and honey. I sprayed my frames with sugar and they took right away but after it was gone they moved back down. Oh well live and learn. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:35:26 pm »
you can try moving some brood and honey frames into the new box. if nothing else, this opens up the full box so they are less apt to swarm.  some people have suggested feeding a thinner sugar-water mix to simulate nectar flow.  as a last resort, you could try switching the box order, but i'd only do that if you have tried all else. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Utah

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:21 am »
I bought a bunch of plastic frames, enough for three complete hives with two mediums each. My bees are the same, they hate to build on it. I tried spraying and then drying the sugar water. I placed the plastic cells between two wood frames - that seemes to work, but I think I caused a swarm in two of them because the bees probably felt crowded.  I do not like the plastic frames at all.

When it one day does get drawn out, I for sure will not scrape and crush and strain. I will keep these in the bottom brood chamber forever if possible. Or I will use them for nucs or for swarms captures.
Utah

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:16 am »
One of the way is split the colony, add a new queen, so you will have 2 hives with 2 queen to expedite propagation. When you need them to become one so to make super, just combine them.
lyw

anything