Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: top supering vs. bottom supering  (Read 2905 times)

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
top supering vs. bottom supering
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »
During my last inspection upon removing the inner cover I could see wall to wall capped honey. Very exciting for sure. (2nd year beekeeping)  For some reason I thought about putting a new super underneath the full one.  Later on while researching I found that this is done by some.  Any advantages? 

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
Re: top supering vs. bottom supering
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:13 pm »
Yes - much faster acceptance by the bees.  Takes em a while to decide the house just grew another storey and they can go up top, but if the new super is within the range that they've been used to working they'll get stuck into it straight away, plus of course with their current honey stored above, they're now obliged to traverse the new super.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:21:24 pm »
Bees do not like crossing capped honey(look up honey bound)so super up form the bottom one at a time.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
I have to disagree.  I have never done anything but top super and have never had an issue.  I like to super on top to keep the queen from moving up into the supers. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »
I have done both and haven't seen enough difference to be worth the work.  But yes, I think bottom supering works SLIGHTLY better at least in the short run.  Just not enough in the long run to be worth the extra work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin