Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing during a flow  (Read 1700 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Robbing during a flow
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:56 pm »
I caught one of my hives trying to rob another today.  I didn't think that I had to worry about this until the flow is over.  There are clover everywhere.  The only thing that I can figure is I started feeding the swarm hive yesterday.  They must like the syrup with the HBH in it better than clover nectar.  I closed up the top, screened the inner cover hole and reduced the bottom entrance, and leaned a shim in front of the reduced hole, so the bees have to land and go around it.  Last I looked I think the robbing has subsided. 

Will this be an ongoing problem now that they have discovered this smaller hive.  Will feeding all of my hives help?  Will a community feeder away from all the hives help?

Thanks and happy 4th.  Happy b'day America!

Dave

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Robbing during a flow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »
Dave, I would not feed all the other hives, if there is a flow going on they need to harvest nature.  You will need to protect this young colony until they are developed enough to have enough guard and forager bees themselves.  This could be around 6 weeks for a fully developed hive.  Good that you caught what was going on, they really need your help right now and it looks like you are doing just fine, yeah!!!  There is nothing wrong with protecting a colony.  The bees would really like to have sugar syrup so close to their home, instead of having to go out searching for nectar, that is why this robbing began.  Good luck, you're doing just great!!!  Beautiful day in the wonderful life we are all livin' and sharin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »
Are you sure it's robbing?  It's unlikely during the flow, but not impossible.  Reduce the entrance.  Don't feed as you'll contaminate the honey and distract them from their real job.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:51:01 am »
It was definitely robbing.  The robbers were the golden Italian package bees up against the swarm hive.
The color difference was what convinced me.  I couldn't believe it myself.  I guess this is one of those ones where the bees didn't read the same books that I did. 

I only fed the swarm a gallon of syrup when they were first hived.  I figured I would let them forage, then feed when the dearth came.  I got impatient with their progress, so I decided to start feeding(Just yesterday).  Thus far, since June 6th, they only have 6 frames drawn out.  I had the top propped open with the feeder can under the lid.  I am thinking I made it too easy to be robbed.  Plus HBH smells pretty good to me.  I can't imagine how good it smells to bees.

So will this be an ongoing problem until they get their numbers up?

I checked them around 5PM and saw them taking orientation, but didn't see anymore thieves.  I will be on guard duty in the morning.

Thanks and glad you are back Mr. Bush.

Dave

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:59:40 am »
   I know this isn't the same time frame.  But when I asked an experienced beek the other day why my first hive, a feral a few years ago, didn't draw more comb he told me that they may not deisire to build comb more than what's needed to secure the comb taken from the cutout.  He said they may build like gangbusters in the early spring but may not be willing to build later in the year.  However. if there is a heavy flow going on they MAY draw out some more later in the year.  For this hive he was correct.  They really build strong in the early spring but unless there is a really heavy flow on they will not build after May. 

I do have a couple Russian hives that build as they need it.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)