Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's the benefit to using metal tops?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
What's the benefit to using metal tops?
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:08:08 am »
What is the specific benefit to using tin or aluminum on the tops?  Is it just for weatherproofing?  If so, then wouldn't creating an angled top with no metal work just as well?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: What's the benefit to using metal tops?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:03 am »
I don't see any benefit, good paint every couple or three years is better.
Metal can and does cause condensation to build inside the hive, if you end up having poor ventilation.
doak

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:43 am »
I'd wager if the top were angled so that dew or rain would run off, it would last even longer than that with the original coats of varnish.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:12:30 am »
   You can use garden covers!  :?  I use exterior plywood (no tin) and a good  coat of paint on telescoping covers.  Exterior plywood last  me for about 15 to 20 years!

And this is in New England whether        

garden covers    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com     look it Item No. 254T  or 667C      

BEE HAPPY Jim to 134  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:29:21 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:32:43 am »
It is all about longevity.  Some of my equipment is well over 30 years old.   The reason they are flat is for storage.  When you have hundreds of hives, you can easily store flat ones by stacking them.  It's not so easy to store pitched tops, not to mention the actual cost and extra time to build pitched tops.  You can also stack hives for shipment with flat tops.  Also when you have a lot of hives,  rotating them off and the time to paint them is not practical.  If your a hobbyist,  you have the time and can do whatever you like.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:01:15 am »
My roof shouldn't cost any more than a flat roof (and actually less since no tin)... and shouldn't take any more time.  I'll take pics when I build.

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:22:19 pm »
When you have hundreds of hives, you can easily store flat ones by stacking them.  It's not so easy to store pitched tops

if you do a single pitch like a shed roof you'll manage the stackability and the water runoff,
you just have to make sure to stack it carefully or it becomes a serious hazzard

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
if you do a single pitch like a shed roof you'll manage the stackability and the water runoff,
you just have to make sure to stack it carefully or it becomes a serious hazzard

What do you mean?  Why would it be a hazzard?

anything