Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lots of bee's at entrance  (Read 3089 times)

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
Lots of bee's at entrance
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:19 am »
I have had my colony going for about 6 weeks now.  I am noticing bees at the entrance (maybe 50 or more), that look like they are cleaning.  They go back and forth, kind of like a vacuum, and cleaning with there probiscus (correct spelling?).  At the same time that that is going on I see bees that are fanning.  What is going on with these?  Anybody else notice that kind of activity?

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
Re: Lots of bee's at entrance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:20 am »
Depending on the weather, they could be trying to keep the hive cool.  It is typical to see bearding and/or bees trying to keep the hive cool this time of year in Georgia as the night time (and day time) temps get warmer.

What is their ventilation like? (screened bottom board, etc.)  Also, where are you?  Please alter your profile to list your location, right now you are in "no man's land"   :).

Best,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:07:22 pm »
I live in Archdale NC.  I have a screened bottom board.  I leave the pan out.  I keep spacers between the inner cover and the top. About a 1/4" space.  I screened the hole over the inner cover to keep any ants or other pest out of there. 

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:21:03 pm »
I agree with Derrick and that you are probably seeing bearding.  I wouldn't be concerned since it seems like you are doing the right things.  Adding another box may help too if they are over-crowded.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:44:03 pm »
The fanning is their air conditioning.
The scrubbing motion is, so far as we know some sort of cleaning the landing board.
Bearding is the gob that resembles a swarm. This is because the hive is to hot and crowded, not so much that they may swarm. If you notice early morning the gob will most likely be gone.
Slip a block of wood under the rear of the cover. I use 1/2 to 3/4 inch blocks, helps ventilate.

We are entering the time that most likely spring swarming is coming to a close.
It is believed 80% of swarming occurs in the spring and 20% in fall.
Although if you started a good size package or a big swarm in the last month, it needs attention until it is well under way and to make sure it has plenty space and stores.  Although it is nearing the time for queens to start their slow down in laying, a newly started colony may not follow suite.
I hope my jabbering is helping some one. ;) :)doak

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:50:43 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  Here is what I have done with my hive so far.  I installed the package of bees on April 23 into a 10 frame deep hive.  Been feeding with a top feeder 1:1 sugar/water ratio.  With Honey B Healthy.  On May 30, I added another deep body.  At this point, they had 8 of the frames drawn out in the bottom, with plenty of larva's and pupa's and emerging bees.  Tuesday I checked the the top and they had 3 of the frames drawn out already. 

I know that the nectar flow is slowing down here in th Piedmont of North Carolina, Randolph Cnty.  Does anybody know when and if there is another nectar flow here?

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:00:06 pm »
It's called wash boarding.  They all do it from time to time.  I attribute to boredom.  You don't see it during a flow much.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:05 am »
I screened the hole over the inner cover to keep any ants or other pest out of there. 

I have not heard of screening over the inner cover hole. I dont think it has anything to do with your question regarding the bees at the entrance but I would take the screen off. My bees are always up on top of the inner cover fanning away when I take the outer cover off. They will keep pest out and you will give them another entrance at the top if they want to use it. It may help with some ventalaion depending on how fine your screen is. Thats just my opinion, you may be fine doing it, Iam just telling you what works for me.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:44:38 am »
I see washboarding every night - even in the middle of a flow - maybe in Hotlanta it helps them cool off or at least takes their little bee minds off of how hot it is.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 08:22:04 am »
I put the screen over the hole on the inner cover, because I have a top feeder and I was getting lots of big ants invading the top feeder.  I keep a 1/4" piece of wood between the inner cover and outer cover to help with ventilation.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »
Bizzy:

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a few counties to the west of you, west of Charlotte.  All of my hives have beards on them with the weather as hot as its been.

Yes, the spring nectar flow is coming to and end but sourwood looks like its about to bloom here and that'll have the girls busy for a while.

Gunny