Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cell sizing  (Read 1703 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
Queen cell sizing
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:07:39 pm »
I checked a hive that seemed to be doing well last week, but now has an emergency cell in it with no evidence of a laying queen (no eggs, looked and could not find the queen).  This is the only queen cell in this hive.  In comparison to some queen cells I've seen, this one doesn't look to be very large.  It is not capped, but the larvae inside is very large and surrounded by royal jelly.  Does anyone know if the size of the cell is an indication of the quality of the future queen or not?

Thanks,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Re: Queen cell sizing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:16:37 pm »
Great question.  Considering that the size of the queen is directly related to the quality of the queen then I think we can intelligently state that The size of the queen cell can also directly relate to the quality of the queen...

If you believe she is an inferior queen due to size and if you like the genetics thn allow this queen to mate and lay some eggs.  Once you validate the queen has well mated kill her and allow them to build a better queen.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:39:44 pm »
I checked a hive that seemed to be doing well last week, but now has an emergency cell in it with no evidence of a laying queen (no eggs, looked and could not find the queen).  This is the only queen cell in this hive.  In comparison to some queen cells I've seen, this one doesn't look to be very large.  It is not capped, but the larvae inside is very large and surrounded by royal jelly.  Does anyone know if the size of the cell is an indication of the quality of the future queen or not?

Thanks,
Derrick

Just posted something similar on my post about my laying worker hive. They finally made a couple of queen cells and they are rather small in size and I was worried they may not be good. Well Michael Bush said in this case"SIZE DOES NOT MATTER". I will try to find the post and quote it.

Here it is:
"Queen cells vary greatly in size.  I've never seen any correlation between the size of the cell and the size of the queen, nor the size of a virgin queen and the size of the same queen when she's laying."

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »
Thanks Annette.  This gives me hope for this hive.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for a strong queen!

Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:30 pm »
>Does anyone know if the size of the cell is an indication of the quality of the future queen or not?

Some people think it does.  I do not.  I've seen plenty of small cells produce nice queens.  I've seen ridiculously large cells that never even emerged or produced just average queens.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything