Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame issue  (Read 1477 times)

Offline NHKelly99

• New Bee
Frame issue
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:21:28 am »
I hived my Nuc and all went well, I think.  They were really angry but I did it! The only problem that I know about is that I didn't have room to place the 10th frame in the hive.  It was so tight and I didn't want to squish anyone. Is this a major problem, can I add it on my 1st inspection?  I'm so afraid of doing something detrimental.  Thanks for any advice.  :-\
Kelly

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Frame issue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:31:55 am »
depending on the strength of the hive I would not wait long to put that frame in before they start making thier own comb in the empty space.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Frame issue
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:18:38 am »
It probably will just make your life more difficult, the bees will be fine. You have a frame or two that wasn't touching the others and they built the comb out into the beespace. It would be good if you could go in find these combs and trim them back, then add the 10th.

Yes it will be a pain, yes it will be a mess, yes you may ruin some brood, but in the long run you'll be able to pull the frames out for future inspections. The idea is to keep things workable.

If they get upset on ya just correct their attitudes with a lil extra smoke, don't let them talk back to ya and get the upper hand!! Discipline, and tough love!!! ;) :-D ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com