Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All went well with package installation  (Read 3609 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
All went well with package installation
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:00:11 pm »
I took the board off the top then i sprayed them with sugar water. I pulled the feeder can out and then i grabbed the queen cage and replaced the feeder can. Then i tacked the queen cage in the hive with the marshmallow in the hole facing up. I then pulled the sides off of the package removed the feeder can and pulled back the wire and dumped them into the foundationless frames. Put the inner cover on, then i put my homemade feeder ontop and a brood box around that and put the top cover back on and leaned the package next to the bricks.

I came back a little later to see how they were doing and there was a ball of bee in the package so i tonked them on the front and they all fell out by the entrance. I took the top off and pulled up my homemade feeder jar to make sure they were eating and that it wasnt leaking all over the place, and the bees were sure enough under drinking all the sugar water.

Now to my question when i came back underneath the ramp that i made to lead up to the front of the beehive there was the same little group of bees about softball size so i removed removed the ramp and they were underneath the bottom board. What are these bees doing, could there be a virgin queen inside the pakage yet. Im positive its not the real queen, because she is still in the cage.

I got stung one time underneath the chin when i was removing the ramp. But it wasnt herr fault she was sitting on my shoulder and i turned my head to see if there were any bees on my back and she got me.

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
Re: All went well with package installation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:12:11 pm »
Jordan, feeding new packages is controversial.  Here's a link to some information on it http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:26:47 pm »
You may have a virgin queen in that ball, it happens, but more likely they are just disoriented. With sbbs bees often will group underneath as they are confused and just want to be where the queen is and just haven't figured out yet how to enter the hive. Once they orient to the entrance all will be well, it could take a few days.

Always offer feed to a package install. If there is a flow on they probably won't take any, if no flow they need to be fed or they will starve and or won't have resources to build comb.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:03 pm »
I will only be feeding them for about a week since im starting them right off on foundationless frames so that they can start to build the combs. The apple trees are blooming here now so i think that they should do pretty well. there's good news i went back out to check and see if the ball of bees were still there and they werent they must have went in. So JP does this mean i dont have a virgin queen or could have she went in to.

But i have another question. Around my beehives there is about 100 bees scattered around about 5 feet all the way around my beehive and they are still alive, a little over half of them are drones. There was also about 10 bees sitting by the entrance alive and when i poked them they just moved there legs a little bit. I only saw one fly away. Is this normal? Are these bees to old to make it back to the beehive? Or is it to clod for them to fly(its about 56 dgrees right now.)

I would like to thanks everyone who makes this website possible without it I would have surely screwed somthing up today and in the future.

Thank You

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:30 pm »
Just let things be for now, it'll work itself out. You probably don't have another queen, and the bees around the hive I wouldn't worry about, they are either disoriented and will make it back in or they may not. Concentrate on what's going on inside of the hive.

Check in a few days to see if the queen was released and do periodic checks after that to see she is laying.

If you have any further questions, you know where to find us. ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:55:19 pm »
I plan on going back in in 2 to three days to check and wee if the queen is out and see whats happening.
For now ill just sit and watch them on the outside. Does this sound right?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:58:19 pm »
Sounds good.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
sure doesn't hurt to feed them for a week.  if nothing else, it takes them a few days to find food sources and begin to put stuff in.  finding a hive full of starved bees pretty much sucks.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »
Today when i got home i went out and checked them and they had about a half of quart of the sugar water drank. Does that sound about right? I do not see any pollen coming in yet but there is a little apple tree about 100 feet from the bees that it dont seem they have got to yet. They are making orientation flights out about 10-20 feet and coming back. I hived them at 4:00 yesturday. Is this normal, i thought they would be drinking more than that on foundationless frames?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:38:53 pm »
They will drink what they want or need. Do as JP says, relax and enjoy them! Just check queen cage in a day or two. They have already been w/ queen for a day or so before you received them, so you can also do a direct release if you want by now. if you look in, and they are quietly surrounding her in a circle, release her. if they are acting aggressive towards her, wait. Apple blooms are a great resource for a young hive. Again, relax. They will probably be fine and do well. The workers should already be festooning and making some wax by now.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:42:46 pm »
The people i ordered them from said that i could do a direct release to but ive heard horror storries of peoples queens flying away when they release them and i wanted there to be a little comb started for her to hold onto since they are on foundationless. When i go in tommorow to take the queen cage out should i smoke the bees, i dont think i should since i havent seen any pollen on them and therfore nector being collected?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:47:16 pm »
smoking is to calm them so you are less likely to get stung. The smaller the number of bees, the more docile they are. So, smoke if needed.Or use sugar syrup, that is refrigerated a little bit. Spray them as you open gently and they will calm donw, if you have it, add some honmey-be helathy which will mask scent of queen. If the seller said release her, do so. the longer she is banked, the longer she will delay in starting to lay. Just release her inside your hive w/ lid partially over your hands. you have no foundation to get in way. Go for it. Always remember, if you dont make mistakes, you'll never learn!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:49:22 pm »
Thanks i no sometimes i over think things and worry to much. Im sure there going to be fine.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:27 pm »
Thanks i no sometimes i over think things and worry to much. I'm sure there going to be fine.

To quote Michale Bush "Everything works if you let it..."  They should do fine as long as they are getting some food.  Welcome to parenthood..

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:03:35 pm »
I went back out and sat about 2 feet away from them for about 3 hours and i saw to bees with there pollen sacks full and i saw some bees come in low for landing and some even run into the brick, i take it these bees are probly full of nectar and there is usually always the same 2 bees sitting out front on the cement block just watching i think these are the guard bees.

It is so cool to watch them and here the difference between a drone bee flying and a worker bee, the drones are so much louder to get there boddy off the ground, but they usually dont go to far they usually go about 10 feet circle turn around and come back to the hive, it seems they stay in the hive all the time.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:07:06 pm »
I saw some bees once in a while coming in with little white pieces in there mouth. Is this propolis and what do they do with it?

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:05 pm »
ok the peices are definately not propolis i found they cary that in there pollen baskets. I think they were just cleaning up the beehive.

i just came from taking the queen cage out there was about a 3'' by 5'' piece of comb on it and there were babys layed in every cell. Some cells had 2 eggs in them does this matter and is it good, i dont think the workers can build comb as fast as she is laying in them and therefore she lays 2 eggs. The 2 frames to both sides had the same amount of comb built on them but i did not inspect, because it is only there 2nd day in the hive and did not want to bug them. I will go in in 10 days and do a full inspection.

Does this sound right. I thought it was pretty good hearing that some queens dont start laying till 2 weeks. i installed the package on the 15 of May and put a piece of marshmallow in her hole in the queen cage.