Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Worried Nubee!  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Rusted!

• New Bee
Worried Nubee!
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:33:33 pm »
Couple a questions and a concern if I could,
Is their any significance to how close to each other 2 hives (or more) should be?  Should I put them back to back, side by side, fifty feet apart, 3 feet apart, or does any of this really matter?  I see all locations on this site, and similar sites. Just wondering if their is a preferred way to locate them.  The two I just installed don't seem to mind that they are  3 feet apart.  I never really thought about this, but if it is a problem, I could move them.  What's your opinion? 
Was cold (40's) today, but I needed to check to make sure their was still plenty of syrup in feeder.  VERY QUITE around hive.  No activity, and no sound.  Was worried!  I have a top feeder, and I gently  lifted the cover, not knowing what to expect.  Plenty of syrup, so I just eased up the feeder, and was able to see into the hive.  Everything looking good from what I could see.  Didn't want to disturb any more than necessary, so put everything back in place for now.  My guess is they were cold, and not interested in moving around in this weather.  Is this normal?  Will the hive be this quiet, and still in cold snaps like this? 
Also does the cold weather slow down their syrup intake?  Didn't seem to be eating much, but not sure what to expect.
Like all nubee's I am a little over protective,  :-D but just want to get them off to a good start!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Worried Nubee!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »
>Is their any significance to how close to each other 2 hives (or more) should be?  Should I put them back to back, side by side, fifty feet apart, 3 feet apart, or does any of this really matter?

Here are mine:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand

>Also does the cold weather slow down their syrup intake?

Very much. If it drops too low they won't take it at all.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rusted!

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:41:04 pm »
Thanks for the info Mr. Mike.  Guess things are doing fine, and i will stay out of their way until it warms up a little.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:30 am »
Rusted, you are asking questions, that is good, that is how we learn.  Yes, when the weather is cold the bees are less active, they are clustering together, keeping each other warm, they do not use as much food when it is colder.  Have a wonderful day in our great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Rusted!

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »
Thanks for info.  All looking good, lots of activity today.  Both hives have lot of flyer's.  Must be finding something blooming as quite a few have pollen on their legs when returning.  Not much that we humans can see yet, but truly the bees are able to find much more than I.   :shock:  From all the reading I am doing, one of the most obvious things that I am learning is the the BEES clearly know much more about what their doing than I do. and usually the best thing I am going to be able to do for them, is stay out of their way and let them do their thing.  I certainly  subscribe to the theory that less is more, and if I keep a sharp eye they will let me know when I am needed.  (kinda feel like a drone!!! :-D )
For now I will keep cracking the books and asking questions.
See next post!
Thanks all.

anything