Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with harvested frames.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
What to do with harvested frames.
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:38:23 am »
Though I won't get my bees until the 15th, I was wondering what everyone does with the frames after the honey has been taken from them. 

The only thing that I have read was to leave them out and the bees will clean them out.  If this is done does it create a robbing situation?  How far away from the hives should this be done?

Is there any other good way to do this?

Thanks.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: What to do with harvested frames.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:18:51 am »
If still in a flow put them back in and they'll make more. You will get different answers on the robbing issue and how many feet away question.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to do with harvested frames.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:38 am »
One of the reasons you'll get a lot of opinions on this is just personal experience.  I've put them back on the hives and I've put them out in the yard.  I've done both many times.  Both work most of the time and putting them on a strong hive works most all of the time, without setting off too much robbing.  But sometimes, in a dearth, and whatever other particular conditions contribute, they get into a robbing frenzy.  This is more likely with them out in the open.

I usually put them 100 yards or so from the hives and at least 20 or 30 yards from the door to the house.  I only made the mistake of putting them by the back door once.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin