Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New-Bee Qustion About Inner Cover  (Read 2193 times)

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
New-Bee Qustion About Inner Cover
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »
Which side goes down?  My inner cover has a lipped edge and arch cutout on one side and is flat on the other.  Does the lipped side go down?  Is the tiny hole on the edge for the bees to escape?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: New-Bee Qustion About Inner Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »
het Sarafina!
 The side with the notch goes down as its for ventilation. (Lucky you, I ordered 5 inner covers and they didnt have the vent hole)
I read about the vented inner covers before but i was a little confused when i couldnt see a vent on my covers...I finally saw one a couple of days ago on a packaging video.
your friend,
john

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:43:34 pm »
Moon side down for winter, flat side down for summer. I personally use honey run apairies vented cover, which is both inner cover and telescoping top. Really help winter ans summer IMO. Also aids in winter feeding.
heres link...

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/store/season-inner-cover-p-50.html?osCsid=f5060c735aa043c353c0c3b6e0847861
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 07:24:02 am »
You can put it either way, and I often put the notch down to make a more convenient entrance.  But this often results in burr comb between the lid and the top bars.

But actually the notch usually goes up, but I'd base it on the bee space.  Take a square and lay it across the top bars an measure the distance to the top of the box.  USUALLY this is about 1/4".  Then measure the space of the lip on the inner cover.  USUALLY this is between 1/8" and 1/4" on one side and 0" and 1/4" on the other side.  Pick the side that comes the closest to giving you between 1/4" and 3/8".  The Brushy Mountain inner covers are marked "this side down" on the flat side with the notch on the indented side.  The hot air goes up through the hole in the center and out the notch as do the bees if you have the outer cover slid forward.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin