Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New bees  (Read 3973 times)

Offline kattz

• New Bee
New bees
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:43:14 pm »
 Hello I ordered new bees and they will no tbe here until May 19. I live in north Texas is that a good time or should i have gotten them in mid April?.........Thanks

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: New bees
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:19:27 pm »
I dont know about texas but may is a good month to get bees here in KY :-D

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:03 pm »
Where did you order them from ???

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
I'm further north in Utah on the Idaho border and I have always gotten my packages in early-mid April. Being warmer in Texas I would take advantage of the extra time you have and warmer weather to give a new package as long as you can to build up its strength in its first year.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline kattz

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:39:53 am »
I got my bees from Rossman apiaries in Georgia

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:17 am »
I live in Central PA.  Rossman is sending out my packages around April 28.  From what it seems, not only do they go by climate zone when shipping, but also first come first served.  Personally, I wouldn't be happy about having to wait until Mid-May.  I don't even like having to wait until early May.  The majority of the best flows are winding down by that time.  April is a good time IMO.  What can you do though.   :-\  Call and complain but I doubt it'll do any good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:12:07 am »
Hey bassman.. You gotthe itch to fish yet :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:58:25 pm »
Hello I ordered new bees and they will no tbe here until May 19. I live in north Texas is that a good time or should i have gotten them in mid April?.........Thanks

Any time before July is good to okay.  After that they will have a hard time developing to a suitable size and strength to successfully overwinter unless feed a huge amount of syrup.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »
>I live in north Texas is that a good time or should i have gotten them in mid April?.........Thanks

In Texas, I think March would have been better.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:43 pm »
Right now in North Texas and South Oklahoma it is snowing, Although we have many warm days we are also  still getting strong frosts in the morning. I've ordered my bee's from two sources locally and both will not deliver until mid April....

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »
I ordered mine and should be getting them the first of April. I have two 5 frame nucs coming. Still have to build my other hive for them. I bought one and building the other.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »
Hey bassman.. You gotthe itch to fish yet

You better believe it.  I'm getting my license in a couple weeks.  Trout streams, watch out!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline kattz

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 12:00:54 pm »
 I called back and it looks like they go by the way they recd the orders so i have no choice but eait until May 19 :-\.... A big thank you to everone who gave me their 2 cents worth. I really appricated it.     

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »
I called back and it looks like they go by the way they recd the orders so i have no choice but eait until May 19 :-\.... A big thank you to everone who gave me their 2 cents worth. I really appricated it.     
I would cancel that order and buy some from the big guys in Texas.  They will be ready early April.....  It will be a NUC instead of Package, but atleast you will have bees in April instead of towards end of May.....
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

anything