Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first Spring season.....what to do with super strong hive.  (Read 1948 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
My first Spring season.....what to do with super strong hive.
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
I had my first hive inspection last weekend.   I've read many different solutions online and in my books but hope some of you might be able to guide me a bit.  I have mixed equipment, 2 more hive on order and 2 deeps and several mediums to assemble.  Both hives are rescued feral hives.

Please chime in with any suggestions.

Hive 1: Was very strong last fall.  Weak now, but looks like it may pull through.  Some stores and a little brood.  Bottom deep is completely empty (just empty combs).  Top 2 boxes (one med. and one shallow) have little brood and some stores.  Should I reconfigure the set up, if so how?  I can move to just mediums here, but have invested in a few deeps now.

Hive 2:  WOW! Super super strong hive.  Has stores and 4 full frames of solid brood (this hive requeened itself last summer...as it wouldn't accept a new queen). Deep has stores, shallow on top has lots of brood.  Should I split....if so which method....seems to be different ways to do this (purchase a queen/let new hive rear a queen etc).  Or should I just put the shallow below the deep and wait for it to move up and hope that this thwarts a swarm?  Should I give some of the brood to the weaker hive (not sure if this is a good idea or not though).  My mixture of super sizes prevented some possible solutions I discussed with a local friend/beekeeper.

All in all I would like to 1)keep my deeps and mediums and not use shallows.  2)prevent a swarm with 2nd hive (strong hive). 

I have had NO luck finding the queen so not sure about methods that require finding her at this point, but am willing to try and get lucky.

Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks guys!
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My first Spring season.....what to do with super strong hive.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:30:10 pm »
i'll tell you what i am going to do.  in a couple of weeks i'll split the stronger hive.  i will make sure there is  brood in both boxes and just split the two apart.  one will have a queen and one will raise a queen.  i don't see any point in paying for a queen if i don't have to.  i will super both hives as soon as there is a nectar flow which should be about the time i split depending on the weather.  i have one hive that wintered one deep.  it is extremely full.  i am putting a medium on it today and will probably do a late split with that hive if it really builds up.  one hive is iffy and i'll leave it alone for now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:54:08 pm »
you can also use the stronger hive to assist the weaker one, and reduce swarm potential in strong hive at same time. They both would be superior honey producers as well. First you have to decide what your goals are for season. Increase hive numbers, or honey(comb or extracted), pollination, queens etc. This will help you decide what "path" to head down. From there, choose one of the many methods you read about or get from here. My first year goals were to have them survive winter. Second year, honey and expand by two hives. This fall, survive and now I want to avoid swarms and increase honey production. I only want one more hive b/c expansion is expensive and I may be out of forage in my yard soon. Therefore I will use splits to avoid swarms and recombine in fall for wintering and eliminating weaker queens to keep my numbers down. Thats the goal, I'll see how it works out!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:47:05 pm »
Using the stronger hive to boost the weaker 1 is good advice.  the alternative is to split the larger hive and have 3 hives of more or less equal strength.  If honey is you goal then boost the weaker hive.  If more hives plus honey is the objective then split to 3 hives.  You should get some honey from each hive but not as much as you would be boosting the one.  The boost will act as an artifical swarm on the stronger hive if new frames are used to replace the ones used to boost the weaker hive. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50:40 am »
Derrik, you haven't been here in awhile, nice to see you posting again.  Good to hear of your spring inspection.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, groove on this life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:27:53 am »
Add my 2 cents . What worked for me , I just switched positions of the 2 hives . The weak hive got those extra workers and strong hive produced more . After a couple weeks check again and see if weak hive need requening , and strong hive could be split.

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »
Thanks guys!  After talking to a local mentor and reading all of your posts I've decided to equalize the hives.  After deciding to do so, I remembered M. Bush's advice on his site not to tolerate weak hives.  A split would be nice, but at this point I feel most comfortable equalizing. It will solve both of my problems
,shouldn't be too challenging and be the best management for the girls.
I'm even more excited this year than last because I am more confident this year and can't wait to put some knowledge into practice this year.

Thanks again guys....I really appreciate it.

Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.