Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some People  (Read 3283 times)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Some People
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:35:59 pm »
A guy at work asked me if I would sell his friends honey for $10.00 less than I currently charge for a gallon of honey..  Which BTW I charge $30.00 per gallon.  He said his friends would buy a 5 gallon container every 2 months.

I told him I have no trouble selling my honey and if they want a huge discount then they can come buy 55 gallons from me.  I will give them a bulk price at that point.  Otherwise my prices remain.

I did suggest if they really want to save the almighty buck they can buy chinese honey for that price.  However with what I have to pay for fuel, bottles, labels.  I charge full price....

You know what they say though.  You dont want to turn away everyone and you dont want to have everyone for a customer.  Pick and choose.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
Re: Some People
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:26 pm »
There is no point in selling yourself short. Our honey, Oklahoma Gold, practically flies off the shelf at the healthfood store that sells it. They then raised the price about 50 cents a lb, knowing my supply was getting down ( I have a single 5 gal bucket left). The customers did not bat an eyelash and they still cannot keep it on the shelf. I am trying to buy honey from a local guy whose honey is identical to mine, I even extracted it on his equipment using the same straining method,same forage, so the honey is identical. Anyway, it looks like he is running out as well. Guess we'll just have to wait until next season once the supply is gone. BUt the moral of the story is that if your product is good, sell at a premium.
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »
I will be in Oklahoma in about 2 weeks to stage some boxes to take a trip to Texas. 

I will be in the Tulsa area.  How far are you from there Hopeful?
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
Smetimes we have to say "NO". Some people don't like to hear "NO". Some perhaps cannot afford a certain price or service, and can only afford within their means. Of course there are those who want a discount, no matter what you had to do to provide the product or service. These latter types need to hear "NO" more often because they learn to take advantage of the hard working honest folk who is doing their best to provide a fair and reasonable product or service, while of course at the same time, trying to make a living. Moral of story, don't sell yourself short, the person that is always looking for that discount can probably afford your price anyway.

My .02, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:52:57 pm »
Probably wanted the price lowered so he could resale.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:26:56 pm »
I suppose if you had a lot and absolutely couldn't get rid of it  :roll:  But that isn't usually a problem...
Rick

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:29:08 pm »

Thats probably the case.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:45:16 pm »
[There is no point in selling yourself short.]

If the sale does in fact cause your supply to go short.

But...  If not....
Do consider, this could be an additional $600-750 for the year.
That does pay for a lot of queens, maybe a dozen packages, or whatever extras you want for your bees.

I don't like the idea that you're asked to take a $150 dollar discount for the year, I'd fight for $25/gal.
This is still probably better than 'packer' pricing.

Keep it in mind if this is bulk honey that you are not out the bottling, labeling, or labor to sell at a farm market. If you are able to retail everything, then I'd probably not buckle and sell at full retail (then you'd gross your $1400+).

I could be an easy way to 'loose' some honey if its faulty in quality in any way.
I have found it is nice to have an outlet for second rate product (IE: Bakeries).

[Probably wanted the price lowered so he could resale.]

And that's a serious point to consider.
You don't need someone showing up at the local farmers market, under-cutting you.
But, if it happens, you can cut the supply (I'd not sell to him on any kind of contract).

----------
You know your market best.
You know the level of effort you care to put into your sales.
In the end, it has to be your decision.
But at least you should consider that could be benefits to what seems like a ridiculous situation.

The best armies in the work turn their weaknesses into strengths.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »
Just tell them that the price actually just went up because the supply was getting low. So the new price is $35 or $40, but you can give them the $30 price since they'll be the last ones to get in late.

That'll make them think.

Scott

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
>>>>>>I will be in the Tulsa area.  How far are you from there Hopeful?<<<<<

I am just outside the beautiful metropolis of Harrah, about 20 miles east of OKC. Many come pretty close on their way to Texas, which is down I-35. In fact, coming from Tulsa we are about 8 miles south of I-44.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 08:31:15 am »
>>>>>>I will be in the Tulsa area.  How far are you from there Hopeful?<<<<<

I am just outside the beautiful metropolis of Harrah, about 20 miles east of OKC. Many come pretty close on their way to Texas, which is down I-35. In fact, coming from Tulsa we are about 8 miles south of I-44.

That is a bit far to drive down from Tulsa.  Maybe when I head to Texas I can stop by and chat if you dont mind.  That will be in the April time period.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 08:39:07 am »
I appreciate everyones input on this matter.  I completely agree with everyone. 

I do believe these people are just looking a discount no matter what.  I think they like to under cut everyone.  I tell them to go elsewhere if they dont like my prices.  Of course I also get back the comment "We really like the taste of your honey". 8-)  I say, then shut up and buy it for the price I am asking.  As it is not unreasonable. :roll:

I don't believe these folks are looking at reselling what I sell them.  They are mead makers from my understanding.  I do not much care what they do with the honey after I sell it to them.  However I am selling ~40 gallons a year to mead makers now at full price and they are happy to pay it as its cheaper than the local brew shoppes and alot better tasting.

My supplies are not enough to cut the price down so I can make a few bucks.  I hope we have enough honey to last until I pull this coming seasons.  Lots of Farmer's markets and other events between now and then.....

NWIN Beekeeper I have considered selling bulk honey at bulk prices.  However in order for them to get the pricing they are looking for, they need to buy a 55 gallon drum of bulk honey.  They only want a gallon here and a gallon there.  No real quantities to be sold for the bulk price they are looking for.  I do agree with you though, that is a lot of time and money saved by selling it bulk like that. 

Thanks again for your thoughts.  We are all on the same page. :-D
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:39 am »
I would probably meet them halfway(25) w/ the understanding they will be buying every two months. A s soon as they skip or delay an order, back to $30. I also give a discount to mead makers as well. When they taste the diff between making it from store bought honey and yours, you'll have a lifetime customer. I keep my business card at a local wine/beer kit store and sell to many mead makers. I encourage them to get together and buy a 5gal bucket and split it up between a few mead makers too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »

Happens all the time on ebay and Craig's list.  Some people making living by buying cheap from one person and overselling to another.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 09:07:41 pm »
>>>> Maybe when I head to Texas I can stop by and chat if you dont mind.  That will be in the April time period.<<<<

Sounds good. You are welcome. Let me know when. :)

anything