Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new use for old horse blankets!  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
new use for old horse blankets!
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »
our temps are going to take a big dip.  into the lower 20's with wind chill into the - temps.  it's going to stay that way for several days.  i might not have worried about the hives, except for the wind.  their perfect summer location is a very exposed winter location.

i had saved cardboard in case i needed to insulate, but this AM when walking around my barn, i realized i have a couple of old horse blankest that will probably do the trick.  after some of the damp from yesterdays rain has dried, i intend to wrap my hives and duct tape the blankets on.

good news!  in preparation for the project, i moved my hives closer together.  those suckers were heavy!!  bad news....i'd almost swear that a mouse scooted out from under the hive.  early morning and only one cup of coffee...could be wrong.  i hope that they have nested under the hives in the cracks between the RR ties.  i have not seen any evidence on the SBB of mice in the hives.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: new use for old horse blankets!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:07:08 pm »
I have found that bails of straw or hay placed about two feet from the hives make a dandy wind break - I discovered this when i had to keep a over zealous tractor driver from plowing to close to my colonies -RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:22 pm »
Kathy, ooooh, that sounds like you are being innovative for sure.  But you said that you moved your hives closer together, maybe that would have been enough protection.  Hard to say.  I can't remember how many hives you have, can you refresh my memory?  Good luck with the blankets, if you use them.  For some reason it seems to me that I recollect that the colonies were not that great in numbers?  Correct or wrong?  I am thinking that if they were smaller, definitely those blankets could surely keep them a little more warm, the wind chill factor is a devilish thing and can whip around corners like nothing on this earth.  Let us know how things turn out for you, always needing to know, great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:32:00 am »
Don't you have mouse guards on?

If you don't see sign on your SBB then you should be OK for now.  Rain?  What's that?
 :roll:

Rick
Rick

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:18 am »
Scadsobees... That would be liquid snow :-D
The sun is shining bright on my old kentucky home right now but DANG its cold  :shock: 15 deg right now. I know for some of you thats a heat wave but to us its COLD.  :shock:  Where the heck is global warming when you need it  :roll:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:28:29 pm »
i ended up wintering over with just 3.  had to combine a couple earlier that just didn't catch up after losing queens, etc.  i'll split (i hope) in the spring.  one is a single deep and the other two are two deep.  moving them together might have been enough if not for this nasty wind.  the wind chill makes it feel like the -'s.  i also put up a windbreak.

i figured there was no harm in wrapping them up for a few days.  this is only supposed to last until friday.  i'll have to unwrap then.  the temp will go up but the rain will return.  hopefully we won't have an ice storm as a transition :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:58:28 pm »
Kathy, I honestly think that wrapping them for the short spell of extremely cold weather may help quite a bit.  But remember, when the cold snap relents to take off the blankets.  You were so correct to have moved them closer and put up a wind break, good for you girl!!!  Best of a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:00:05 am »
So can small Hay bails will work?   My friend has a little lot nex to are house where my hives are but his hay barn is 40 feet from my hives and it has about 4,000 70 to 80 pound hay bales in it!  If they will wrok I'll get some out!!  He don't care at all sense I have the run of his land and feed his cows when he is out of town that way his wife don't have to. + im the one that cut the hay In ever thing lol

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:20:16 am »
Beginner, I would think that hay bales would make excellent wind break to keep the blowing cold wind diverted away from the colonies for sure.  It is close, the hay, that is good too.  Have an awesome day, Cindi

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
Hay bales make great wind breaks. I have seen people make run in shelters and lean to structures with them. They are easy to move if need be and are cheap if you grow your own hay. If high winds are a problem where it may blow them over and into your hives ( not good ) then spike them into the ground with rebar. The only problem is they make good homes for mice and other rodents if you leave them there very long.

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:58 pm »
Sense im on top of one of the highest mountains in this county we all ways have some wind!  Right now its 12deg out side + some wind!  So when I get up tomarow I'll get some of the bales out.    I'll make a new post on wind breaks!!  thanks!!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:45:02 am »
That would be liquid snow

Science is amazing, did you know that liquid snow and liquid sunshine are the same thing?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!