Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Inspection Pics  (Read 3940 times)

Offline KES

• House Bee
    • Terrabeethia
Hive Inspection Pics
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:16:35 pm »

I just loaded up a few pictures to my blog from my latest hive inspection.  Not very many, but pictures are always fun.  :)

www.kensbees.blogspot.com

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
Re: Hive Inspection Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:24:40 pm »
Awesome pics...... thanks for sharing. I for one, NEED pics........ I've bookmarked your blog.

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
KES, I'm not trying to pick on you or your bees, but the pictures you had of the brood shows a spotty brood pattern. This is not a good thing if you want to maximize your yield. I believe I would invest in a proven queen that has been mated, lays a good pattern, and evaluated by an experienced queen breeder. It's just my opinion, but I think you could get a better brood pattern than what was in the pictures.

Offline KES

• House Bee
    • Terrabeethia
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:48:34 pm »
Thanks Old Timer, since I posted this thread, I've learned that I'm having some trouble with my queen.  New supercedure cells have emerged. Looks like you spotted something.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:13:47 pm »
Supercedure cells or cups???? There is a difference. Only asking because I panicked once when the bees were making only cups until I learned the difference.

Annette

Offline KES

• House Bee
    • Terrabeethia
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:55:29 pm »
Well, I guess I don't know.  What is the difference??

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:57 pm »
Cups are open and the bees make them once in a while and it doesn't necessarily mean they will swarm. Cells are closed and look like peanuts.

Offline KES

• House Bee
    • Terrabeethia
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:34:32 pm »
I don't think they're swarm cells, I think they are supercedure cells so I'm not worried about swarming.  Why would the bees make cups for a reason other than raising a new queen?  That doesn't make sense.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:37:48 pm »
Very nice pictures.

Bees make queen cells all the time. If the cells are high on the frame they are supercedure cells. One or two is not usually a big deal they may have that in case of an emergency. When you see 3 or more there is usually an issue with the queen and they want to replace her.

Swarm queen cells hang off the bottom like icicles. These are a sign that the hive will be swarming.

Either way the cells will stay open for a few days while the bees feed the larvae royal jelly. They will then close it. What emerges is a virgin queen (unmated).

In a supercedure the hive will have either killed the old queen and tossed her or this virgin queen will fight to the death with the new virgin queen. If the old queen lives she will have the next virgin queen to fight and they will keep happening until she dies.

In a swarm setup the virgin queens fight each other until usually one remains the the new queen and her will coexist for a little while. The virgin queen goes on a mating flight. Comes back and takes over the hive. The old queen, half the bees, most of the honey leave to find a new home.

I have not heard of this cups and cells difference.

Please read:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbasics.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfallacies.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:13:11 pm »
I don't think they're swarm cells, I think they are supercedure cells so I'm not worried about swarming.  Why would the bees make cups for a reason other than raising a new queen?  That doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the confusion. Bees make "cups" in anticipation of replacing the queen. Apparently bees make these a lot of the time and it doesn't mean anything more, meaning it doesn't go any further than just the cups. I found this out when my hive started to make these cups and I panicked. Several beekeepers told me that their hives make these all the time and it doesn't go any further. They called them "cups" when they were open. Understudy is calling them all "cells", open or closed. In any case, this should help you.

Annette from Placerville California

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 10:41:53 am »
I'm thinking that the bees make queen cups all the time, as our friends are saying.  I bet this is for practice.  The bees want the best of the best for their new queen, the most perfect cell that they can make, if they have lots of great cells present in the hive, then they can choose the most beautiful and elaborate  :).  She should be in the perfect place, only made for her alone.

Maybe another reason could be that they have the cells ready, just in case, it is like the saying "be prepared", we should all be that way  :roll:  Have a wonderful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service