Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thirsty bees  (Read 1588 times)

Offline gunny

• House Bee
Thirsty bees
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »
Had a neighbor who had a lot and I mean a lot of bees drinking out of her bird bath and cat drinking dishes.  I went over and demonstrated to her that as they were not defending their homes, they were pretty well harmless and not at all aggressive.  At first she was a little skeptical but when she saw how close I came to them and didn't get get stung she loosened up.  Told her how to not trigger aggresive behavior around bees.
This morning saw her filling her bird baths, she said that my bees might be thirsty in this heat.  This evening brought her a quart of honey and told her that my bees said thanks for the water and thank you for not spraying them down with insect spray.  Put a big smile on her face and made a bee friend.

Offline CWBees

• House Bee
    • CWBees
Re: Thirsty bees
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:50 pm »
Great story. :-D
A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:04:20 am »
I have a few water sources in my yard to help keep the thirsty bees out of my neighbors yard.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:35:24 pm »
Good for you, you have taught a wonderful lesson about our girls.  A little honey goes a long ways too. Have a wonderful day, beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service