Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: adding supers  (Read 2095 times)

Offline scott

• New Bee
adding supers
« on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:07 pm »
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forum, I am a second year beekeeper from central New Hampshire.  I have enjoyed reading everyones questions and responses and have learned alot.  I did not harvest any honey from my hives last year nor was I able to add a second super unfortunatly.  So the situation I am in is new to me.  My question is when do I add a second super to my hive and how should it be done.  Specifically should I add a second super on top of the first or should I remove the first, place the second and return the first to the top of the stack? 

Thanks for your responses in advance
Scott

Offline Holycow

• New Bee
Re: adding supers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:33:55 pm »
Hi,
What is your current hive layout? Also, what activity have you noticed inside the hive? This information will be needed by others to give you their recommendations.
Thanks,
--Jeff

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
Personally I'm in favor of bottom loading when adding honey supers. I take off the first, put on an empty and perhaps add a capped frame to it, and put the full one on top. I'd keep adding like this all season. Thats my 2 cents.

Offline scott

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:47:45 pm »
Hey Jeff,

I have five hives total, each have two hive bodies and one super.  Currently the supers are full and mostly capped.  I plan to add a second super to all five hives tomorrow.  I hope that answers your question and thanks for your response.

Scott

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:53 pm »
If your supers are full its time to put another on, doesn't really matter to the bees. They need room.
If you want some comb honey, take the full one off and put the empty on bottom.
I find it less work to top super, then when your ready to harvest if the top isn't full, sit it aside till you get the full ones off.
The next super should be put on when 7 out of 10 frames are filled and mostly capped.

It all adds up to your preference.
doak

Offline scott

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:52:46 pm »
thanks,

It seems like alot less work top supering.  I wasnt sure if the bees prefere to stay closer to the deeps or not, or if they would be more productive one way or the other.  I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Scott

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:04 pm »
The full super up higher tends to draw the bees up through the empty, rather than waiting for them to move up on their own. More work, but possibly a better management technique.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC