Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Extractor?  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Which Extractor?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:41 am »
The steel is thicker on the Maxant.  This makes it more durable and resistant to dents, but also makes it heavier.  Maxant has always supported their products no matter how old.  You can still buy parts for all of them as far as I can tell.  I'm not saying it is or isn't worth the difference in price.  I bought the Mann Lake when it was on sale... and haven't had any regrets.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 11:35:48 am »
Like Michael says Maxant has no orphans. There is a lot of old Maxant  equipment for sale in New England. The biggest problem it doesn't last long in the want ads. Oh yeah shipping is no problem I can be at the factory in an hour or so.
Something to consider stainless steel comes in many different qualities.

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 06:07:20 pm »
I believe these are the only two food grade stainless Steels available 304 and 316 .  The durability of both are not the same. All I can say buyer beware.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »
SC,
You say the Maxtant has a conical bottom. Is the cone pointing down?
If so and the drain is at the bottom I would go with it. One item I do not like about the ML is the drain is on the side with an inverted cone. This leaves a lot of honey in the drum. I made up 3-4" cube blocks that I put the under the back leg to raise it up to get the last of the honey to drain out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 09:26:41 am »
> This leaves a lot of honey in the drum. I made up 3-4" cube blocks that I put the under the back leg to raise it up to get the last of the honey to drain out.

Yes, I do the same.  I put a chunk of four by four under the leg opposite the drain when I'm done to get the last of it out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin