Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A successful swarm capture  (Read 3065 times)

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
A successful swarm capture
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:05:03 pm »
I got a call yesterday afternoon from a small organic coop farm close to my home.  They had a big swarm that had settled in one of their trees.  I was able to get a hive underneath and drop it on to a sheet and into a new hive.  I made several short video clips and posted them at YouTube.  Here's a link to them.  Nice big swarm, no stings. Yeah!! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6xxnxtSu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXngET7X2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSYJ-MTuLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMjb9gUdDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6EeFyXKLLU

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: A successful swarm capture
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:33:16 pm »
Fantastic what wonderful video you are really smart
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:48:21 pm »
That is amazing!  They just march into the hive?  Did you isolate the queen and put her in there first, or did she lead the parade?  :?  I didn't realize they'd act like that.  What makes them so willing to go into that hive?

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:54:05 pm »
A swarm wants a home more than anything.  Once they get the message that there's a new home available, they move in quickly.  The swarm was about 8 feet above the ground on a small branch.  I put the open hive beneath and gave it a good shake.  A fairly good sized group fell into the hive, but most fell on the sheet outside.  I gently slid the lid on the hive and then watched the procession for the next 40 minutes.  I had to give a couple of extra shakes to get bees off the branch and finally clipped the branch and laid it by the entrance to the hive.  It didn't take long for them all to go inside.  I just stopped by this evening and put an entrance feeder on the hive.  Everything looks great.  I'll leave them here for a couple of days and then relocate them to a permanent location.

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:55:34 pm »
Any reason you leave the hive on that table before you move it?
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:54:06 pm »
That is just awesome.

Congradulations.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:12:01 pm »
Those videos were fantastic - glad you gave us all the links. 

Between three and four, I was offered the opportunity by YouTube to watch "Farting in Public" and much preferred to return to your list for HoneyBee Removal IV!  Your video is amazing - watching them all walk in in such an orderly way.  I've heard people who get swarms talk about that but seeing it on film was wonderful.

Linda T in awe in Atlanta

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:08:42 am »
That was cool, they reminded me of the song "The Ants go Marching......"   :mrgreen:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:22 am »
Let-CA.  Very nice video, I loved watching it and was held fascinated.

But now you have sparked my curiosity (I am very curious and like to know lots of stuff).   If the hive was higher up than the 8 feet that this one was one, would you have still used the same method with the sheet?  It seems like a pretty fool proof way of catching a swarm.

Do you think that the queen went into the box when you firstly shook the branch, when the lid was off?  I am curious about that.

I bet the queen would be easy to see walking into the hive upon a white sheet.  Or are there too many bees to clearly see her.  Is this yes or no?

The next question is:  if the lid was left on, could the same procedure be followed?

Would the queen if she dropped on the blanket head into the hive too?  I would imagine, but could you define more clearly. Again, wonderful video, thanks very much for taking the time.  Have a wonderful day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:39:42 pm »
Let-CA.  Very nice video, I loved watching it and was held fascinated.

But now you have sparked my curiosity (I am very curious and like to know lots of stuff).   If the hive was higher up than the 8 feet that this one was one, would you have still used the same method with the sheet?  It seems like a pretty fool proof way of catching a swarm.

A: I used the same method for a swarm that was about 15 feet up.  I put a sheet down with an empty hive on it.  I threw a rope over the branch and gave a good shake.  Very few of those bees fell into the hive, but those that did started the bee dance almost immediately.  I like the sheet because the bees are all on an even level and it's easier to keep track of them and not walk on them.  They can cover the ground more quickly too since they aren't climbing over rough ground.

Do you think that the queen went into the box when you firstly shook the branch, when the lid was off?  I am curious about that.

A: I was able to hold the hive right under this swarm since it was relatively low to the ground.  I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think she fell in with the first shake.  They only fell a foot or so.

I bet the queen would be easy to see walking into the hive upon a white sheet.  Or are there too many bees to clearly see her.  Is this yes or no?

A: I have a hard time differentiating between the bees.  I did see one drone this time, but for the most part, they all look the same to me.  Even though I was suited up, the adrenaline is pumping pretty good when I do this.  I'm still relatively inexperienced and am always just a step away from "full-on" panic.

The next question is:  if the lid was left on, could the same procedure be followed?

A: Yes, it could; but the goal is to get enough bees inside so they communicate with the others that this is a good home.  I try to let the bees do as much of the work as possible.

Would the queen if she dropped on the blanket head into the hive too?

A: The queen will follow the message, just as if these had been scout bees.  It just goes faster if she's inside early on.

I would imagine, but could you define more clearly. Again, wonderful video, thanks very much for taking the time.  Have a wonderful day, good health.  Cindi

All the best. - Lenny
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:52:20 pm by LET-CA »

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:14:16 pm »
they aren't marhing in, it just seems so. in fact they're FLOWING in

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39:06 pm »
Nice catch and thanks for taking those great videos and sharing them with us.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 11:38:01 am »
Lenny, thanks so much for the indepth answers.  I think that you have provided fantastic information for many of us that will be keeping our eagle eyes out for swarms, in the hopes of catching one and increasing our colony numbers.  Yeah!!!!  Good for you, again thanks.

My first (and only) swarm that I caught was caught during my first season of beekeeping.  It was one of the most incredible things that I have ever seen (or heard) in my life.  In a previous post I recounted the experience.  But I will briefly recap.

It was August 1, the day after a great big ceremony at our place.  A friend of ours had got married on our property.  It was a ceremony of great interest.  My brother video taped it to make a documentary (he is in the film business).  It was a paegan wedding, she is involved in the wicken.  I loved every minute of it.  Ooops, I am rambling.

I was going to go to the corner store to buy some bacon for our breakfast.  (late one for sure).  I walked to the back of my yard, (my car was at the back to free up room for parking out front).  When I walked past the greenhouse, I heard a noise that made the hair on my neck stand up.  It scared the crap out of me.  It was loud, so loud, I thought that there may have been some kind of bear that had gone nuts.  My curiosity reigned.  I kept walking and looked for the  noise.  It was coming from the apiary site.  I saw in the sky the sound.  The sky was black with bees.  I could not believe my eyes.  So this is what a swarm looked like and sounded like.  The sound was so loud I could never have in my wildest dreams the bees could make it to this magnitude.  The bees alighted in a tall, tall, coniferous tree.

I phoned around and remembered that some guys from the bee club had given me their business card  and they do swarm capture.  I phoned one of them and he said that him and his buddy were just going to do some work in their own apiary.  The would be down soon.  So they came down.  Brought all the necessary swarm capture items.  And one of these was an extension ladder.  To make a long story shorter, the bees wound up being vacuumed into the bee vacuum box, because of the height.  It worked.  He sucked up all the bees.  We put the hive into the apiary and the bees moved into their new home.  That was such a wonderful experience.

BUT....these bees were nasty, never did get nice until the next summer.  If I didn't have the four other package colonies to compare to (which were very sweet and nice tempered), I would have had a terror with beekeeping that would have made me always on edge when I was near the bees.

The summer after this capture, this colony swarmed.  It still was so darn nasty.  The old swarm colony was given a new queen (I had rid it of queen cells), and their temperament changed somewhat.  I didn't go into this season with this colony because I lost them last fall.  I had a varroa mite issue that collapsed 9 of my colonies.  I now have 1 left and it is looking pretty fine.

I am armed and dangerous with my knowledge of the varroa mite and its stupid little life.  I made many mistakes last year with the varroa mite and my colonies, I now now that.  I know the symptoms of high counts, which is was totally kniave to last year.

My goal is for strong, varroa mite free, disease free colonies and I will succeed.  Would you say I ramble?  Some might, but yep, that is yours truly.

Have a wonderful and beautiful day, lots of good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service