Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem with Swaming  (Read 2326 times)

Offline steeldetailer

• New Bee
Problem with Swaming
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:02:05 pm »
I got a question for you all. Im going on my second spring now with 2 hives and within the last 4 weeks i have cought 5 swams from the 2 hives. What am i doing wrong. Here is what i have done so far, We have 2 hives with 2 deeps in place on each. Here in Mississippi the blooms started eary so i went ahead and added a medium super on each hive to make sure they had plenty of room and then the swaming started. After the second swam i went and rotated the deeps i put the top deep on the bottom and the bottom on top, i guess that wasnt the answer because i got 2 more swams so i went in the deeps and pulled out some frames with honey and pollen and replaced them with empty frames to give the queen more room and i still got a swam after that. So whats up with that. What im i doing wrong. After all the swams i can pretty much guess i will not get much honey this year. Please Help 

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Problem with Swaming
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:19:14 pm »
What is the time frame between these swarms?

Are they simply taking off again after you catch them, or are the actually settling in a few weeks, and swarm again?

Offline steeldetailer

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:11:55 pm »
The swams are happening about a week apart. But its not the swams that i catch that is swaming its the 2 hives that are about a year old that keeps swaming. i went from 2 hives to 7 hives in 4 weeks. We keep the hives behind my office, i can see them from my window and they just keep swaming from the 2 original hives. i have no idea whats going on.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:19:43 pm »
I went through the same thing and found that I had to check the colony once a week and cut out queen cells and manipulate the brood nest because they were building so fast.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:36:44 pm »
Go and read unlimited brood nest on Michael Bush's Page and read about swarm control there also You will be glad you did
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:40 am »
I  love Michael's site.  He has done some beautiful work and it is worth spending time reading it.  You will find that every time that you spend time reading it, you missed something the last time you read it and you will have to read it again.  I have read it several times and will have to read it many more times to "get" all of it.  Keep reading and studying.  Have the wonderful and best day of the best of the days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:42 am »
Yea it think Michael has one of the best informative sites around and i read it when i have problems from it and it always seems to work :D                  :mrgreen:
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

anything