Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Proximity to Orchard Spraying  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Mister Tim

• New Bee
Proximity to Orchard Spraying
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:03:23 pm »
Hi - My in-laws own several orchards, one of which (approximately 92 acres) surrounds our land. In fact, the access road from the highway runs through our property, and about 2/3 of our +/- acre parcel is covered with apple trees. Each year they bring in local bees to help with pollination. Nearly all of the acreage is devoted to apples, although there are also small stands of pears and plums.

Their spraying schedule at this farm goes something like this: Early spring, just at bud stage, they spray on dormant spray (mostly oil to suffocate mite eggs that have over-wintered), sometimes they'll also use Sevin, and sulphur for fungus. After the bees are in and until they're removed, there is no spraying. Once the bees are gone, insecticide and fungicide are used until roughly th end of July, when the fungicide is no longer used. After the fruit has set, they spray the apples with a dilute acid to cause the weaker fruits to die off, essentially a process that replaces thinning by hand. During the summer months, at least once but sometimes twice they'll spray RoundUp* along the base of the trees to help control weeds where it's tough to reach with the orchard mowers.

My question is this - I want to begin keeping bees here, but I don't know if they would be in danger from being in too close proximity to the sprayed areas. We've more or less reached a mutual understanding that the trees on my property will "eventually" be removed without replanting, so that I will be able to erect a building or two for workshop, forge (I like the old style blacksmithing), etc. I'm not sure if the bees would be harmed from direct spraying, or even if a shelter would provide sufficient protection (I have serious doubts about that).

Anyhow, I appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Also, this orchard may not remain orchard for too many more years. The commercial and residential development is causing quite a demand for open land of this character, so... instead of 3,000-foot-long rows of beatiful blooms in the spring and apples in the late summer and fall extending due north from the back of our home, we'll be looking at -- well, who knows at this point... I suppose we could always cash-in on the boom if it comes, and move to a place where it would be like it is here, now.

- Tim

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Re: Proximity to Orchard Spraying
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:45:29 pm »
We are surrounded by orchards here and all of them have large resident hive populations. The consensus in MD at least is that timing is the issue; enlightened fruit growers will generally spray very early in the morning or as late in the day as possible, in other words, when the bees are not flying. Personally, I suspect that there must still be some exposure - my own bees forage in several orchards - but I have never observed any problems. We also have the issue of heavy gypsy moth spraying (aerial).

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: Proximity to Orchard Spraying
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:23:42 am »
I've got some experience with this one...  I used top be an orchardist.  I always started applying my sprays at 2-3am.  This allows the chems to dry properly before the sun hits them or the beneficial insects go out hunting for the day.  As far as I know, chemicals on the trees are really not an issue for bees, as long as you don't spray certain things during bloom.  Even things like provado and assail were safe when applied correctly.  The problem that I see for ochardists, concerning bees, is that of ground cover.  If there are dandilions, thistles, clovers, plantains, vines, etc.  growing under trees or in row middles, spray drift WILL land on these plants, and may pose a threat to any bees foraging in the area.  I'm sure you've sen the airblast sprayers in action.  Drift, and application to non-targets definitely is a possibility if app is done carelessly, and chemicals do land on clovers and such regardless of operator/applicator skill.  What time to your neighbors apply the chemicals?  Hopefully at night, dry by morning.  Take a walk through the field during the growing season, and see how well they maintain the grounds.  If you see lots of little flowers scattered about, or lots of clover in the grass, it should definitely factor into your decision.  Bees around here are kept close to orchards, sometimes in orchards, without problems.  Also keep in mind bees will forage a 3 mile radius, are there other farms with different spray practices you should evaluate?
Ben

anything