Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching  (Read 13140 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Swarm Catching
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2024, 11:00:55 pm »
Okay good, they definitely didn't need the medium.  So they are on, what, 4 frames?  Don't be surprised if it takes them a little while to catch up to the nuc.  I'd get back in there tomorrow and try to correct the poorly drawn comb.  It'll only get worse the longer you leave it.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2024, 08:55:09 am »
Okay good, they definitely didn't need the medium.  So they are on, what, 4 frames?  Don't be surprised if it takes them a little while to catch up to the nuc.  I'd get back in there tomorrow and try to correct the poorly drawn comb.  It'll only get worse the longer you leave it.
Thanks, I was pondering that but was wondering if I've been meddling with them too much as it is. I'll paint up some frames with wax and replace those that are in there and maybe see what for comb my buddy across the street has. He's been willing to help me out thus far and I'm setting the trap up for his benefit. Any built comb I can give them can only help.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2024, 06:37:11 pm »
OK, I got together with my neighbor and he gave me some drawn comb to replace the undrawn and wonky comb frames. Having more built comb should make the natives happy. I also reset the swarm trap for him, since his have all died off and hopefully I can help him out there. I put the wonky comb frames into the trap after removing most of the comb, which all had uncapped honey it in. I expect it to get robbed out. I guess I have a little crush and strain going on.  :cheesy:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2024, 07:42:36 pm »
I love pictures like that, where the honey is from the same hive, same time, but two completely different colors!  How do they each taste?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2024, 07:54:04 pm »
I love pictures like that, where the honey is from the same hive, same time, but two completely different colors!  How do they each taste?
Taste great! LOL I don't know, I'm no honey connoisseur yet so I didn't compare them and I gave the smaller one to a neighbor who stopped by already.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2024, 02:34:56 pm »
My swarm trap is seeing moderate activity all day today since about 0700 and they're flying all around it, checking out the seam between the boxes and checking out the dimensions. I did put some comb with nectar in there but it wasn't much and the activity doesn't look like robbing but I remain open to the possibility. They aren't just coming and going, they're in, out, walking around, flying around the box.