Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s the oldest honey that you have eaten?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
What?s the oldest honey that you have eaten?
« on: December 03, 2022, 03:35:51 pm »
Just read the Saltybluegrass thread with interest. Thought I?d ask a similar question. What is the oldest stored honey that you have eaten? I remember a few years ago I tried some of a mates honey that he harvested in 1974. Honey used to be stored in tins and this was the only issue. The tins were rusty on the outside and the honey had a distinct metallic flavour. I would like to try some in two years time and be able to claim that I?ve eaten a good vintage. (Or is that a veteran honey)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: What?s the oldest honey that you have eaten?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 05:30:43 pm »
4 years stored in cool place in the pails at the back of the shop
2 months in the fermenter
4 years in the bottle
... 8yrs 2mths = very exquisite honey-wine (mead) :)

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 08:38:56 am »
5 year old honey from honey collected during my first year of beekeeping. It was a very dark honey good tasting honey. After five years s it had a licorice taste. It is possible I still have some of it in the pantry. I will have to look for it and see what it tastes like now. If I still have it it would bee 12 years old. I wonder if it taste like scotch now. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 01:05:34 pm »
 :grin:

Jim you have my attention. Let us know how it taste.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 01:55:32 pm »
I just checked, it is gone. I think Judy threw it away a few months ago while cleaning out the pantry.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 10:18:24 pm »
Just for curiosity, what did you have it stored in?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 07:13:09 am »
I probably have some from 1974... I don't know.  I never put it in tins for that reason.  I don't like metallic tasting honey.  Mine is all in either glass or plastic.  Most of it ends up in five gallon buckets.  It gets darker over time.  Fresh definitely tastes different than the same honey years later.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 09:45:48 am »
Just for curiosity, what did you have it stored in?
Just our standard glass pint mason jar.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 11:23:11 pm »
I have a case or two from around the mid 80's if anybody is game.
It is not totally crystallized, dark as molasses. I haven't got the nerve up yet.

Some sitting in the kitchen window is a mix of wildflower and sourwood, the wildflower settled to the bottom and crystalized, the sourwood is on top and still liquid. It is starting to turn a little darker. Been in the window for, I'm not sure, but about 6 or 7 years. Was trying to see if mixing the two honey's together would stay mixed and all crystalize at the same time. I knew the wild flower would crystalize in about 6 to 8 months and the sourwood would take several years.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 05:00:52 pm »
I haven't got the nerve up yet.

I am curious G3. Let us know when you do try it.. Thanks

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 07:46:11 pm »
I keep one jar of honey from every year, so in a few years I should be able to answer this question.  :wink:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 01:46:43 am »
I keep one jar of honey from every year, so in a few years I should be able to answer this question.  :wink:

:wink:

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 03:18:43 pm »
I got to taste 15-year old honey for a fellow beekeeper near me last month.  Still delicious. :)