Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who?s Running a Wood Stove?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Who?s Running a Wood Stove?
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2021, 08:12:21 pm »
Propane refrigeration is commonly used in motor homes and travel trailers. I have one in Judy?s she shed that uses electricity or propane. They are very slow to cool when you start them, 3-4 hours. They use heat to cool.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:25:52 pm by BeeMaster2 »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2021, 08:33:49 pm »
You are correct Jim. There are a lot of (usually smaller) propane fridges in use today.

As I understand it, the old ones "last forever", but the new ones have annual maintenance issues such as replacing the thermocouples, etc. But, I don't know everything.

The one in my pictures was in a cabin in Montana for over 40 yrs. It's then sat for the last 25 yrs in a barn, unused. After I figured out the gas lines and lighting process, it fired right up. Pretty awesome.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2021, 08:50:41 pm »
Man Alan, I really like your set up! We had an older type propane/electric refrigerator, (as Jim described), in our camper when I was a kid. We had if for years and never had a minutes trouble out of it. I suppose someone forgot to tell the manufactures, don't monkey with the design.  "If its not broke, don't fix it".. Our old style one worked very well... Yours is the first full size one I have seen...

Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2021, 09:14:35 pm »
... Yours is the first full size one I have seen...

Me too. I talked with an old guy at the propane dealership. He was familiar with them, and gave me several tips. He said it's really hard to find one of the large one like this.

One of the tips he gave me was to stand it upside down for a few hrs to let the coolant circulate thru the system. He said after they sit for a decade or more, the coolant becomes like sludge, and they don't work well at first. I did as instructed - almost tore 3 fingers off (it slipped while I was turning it back upright). I swear this fridge weighs 400 lbs. Anyways, it fired right up and went straight to cold.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2021, 11:13:01 pm »
I grew up heating with wood. I still enjoy getting out the Axes and Splitting Mauls. We have a fireplace in the house that we use during winter's here. But ... my favorite place is our cabin ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It's completely "off-grid. No water, toilet, electricity, etc. It does sit on a river though. Nearest cell phone service is about 40 miles away. It has a wood-burning kitchen stove/oven.

It also has propane refrigeration ...

That makes ice cubes in 4 hrs ...

The stove is 1910/1920's vintage I'm guessing. The Fridge is 1930's (plus or minus).

Does anyone else make use of propane refrigeration?
I?m not sure I can tolerate this post in my thread. It all depends, since I can?t clearly make out the labels, if those are West Coast style or if they are actually a decent IPA.
That?s pretty neat there. I alway like the old refrigerator style. Never have dealt with propane fridges. I think my stove top and oven are on the way out. We will be going back with propane at least for the stove top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2021, 01:02:46 am »
I promise they are good beers.  :grin:

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »
Your vagueness leaves me wondering. :)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2021, 01:58:56 pm »
Your vagueness leaves me wondering. :)

Left me wondering too! If he might have really meant  (from the other topic):

I promise they are good beers.     :grin:

Instead really meaning:

I promise they are good bears.     :grin:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2021, 03:02:54 pm »
Aargg!  :cool: The hunting-Camp argument about what a "good beer" is, is never ending ... the following beers are there:

Eel river organic IPA (whatever "organic" means - but it's good).
Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point (one of my favorites).
Lagunitas IPA - a very basic "go-to" IPA, if the establishment doesn't have anything good.

There's a large military base in central Cal that allows hunting. I hunted there for years. One day i took a pole - The general "concensus" around the campground (some 500 people) was that Natural Light was the best beer in the world ... YUCK!!! Some Most people (it seems) wouldn't know a good beer if it bit them in the ***.  :cheesy: :cool: :cool:

My hunting camp ...

... always has Beer-on-Tap. Usually Sculpin, or Sierra Nevada, or a local IPA. It always amazed me how many people won't drink free beer ... "eew, I don't like that beer!". Aargg!  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: ... "More for me!".  :cool:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »
Cool
Good beer is in the hands of the beholder.  If you ain't holding, it can't be good.
Cheers
gww

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2021, 04:03:01 pm »
Cool
Good beer is in the hands of the beholder.  If you ain't holding, it can't be good.
Cheers
gww

So true.