Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How To Cook It Outdoors. What?s your Way?  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
How To Cook It Outdoors. What?s your Way?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:39:35 pm »

Every once in a while you need a liquid diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: How To Cook It Outdoors. What?s your Way?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 11:57:44 pm »
I like em all.  Especially the last picture with the big juicy steaks! Yum!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 12:02:40 am »
I like em all.  Especially the last picture with the big juicy steaks! Yum!
That was 2019 Colorado elk first rifle. We drew tags in unit 75. We saw elk, but no luck.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 12:27:11 am »
I like that cinder block setup!  Cinder blocks are second in versatility only to duct tape!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:34:07 am »
I like that cinder block setup!  Cinder blocks are second in versatility only to duct tape!  :cheesy:
That was a fajitas on camp in the back yard nite. Later we did s?mores. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Offline Codetalker

• Brood
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 09:11:23 am »
There are many ways to cook steaks outdoors, and the best method for you will depend on your personal preferences and the equipment that you have available. Here is one way to cook steaks outdoors:

Preheat a grill to high heat.
    Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and season them with your desired seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs, etc.)
    Place the steaks on the hot grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, longer for desired level of doneness.
    Remove the steaks from the grill and let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving.

This method will produce delicious juicy steaks with a nice char on the outside. As a recommendation, try cooking outside. You can also use a stovetop grill pan or a cast iron skillet to achieve similar results.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:22:53 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 01:03:44 pm »
Hot coals are the best for any cooking.  A rocket stove is too hot, though if used indoors, it is a lot less smoky.  Cast iron and hot coals.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 04:44:02 pm »
Built a rocket stove a few years ago for a bit of fun.

Great for cooking a stir fry or searing a steak but as Michael said, too hot for a slow cook.

Most of my camp cooking is done on a stove that I made from an old gas cylinder. It?s outstanding for all types of cooking. As you can see from the photo, it is well used.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 07:31:19 am »
>Great for cooking a stir fry or searing a steak but as Michael said, too hot for a slow cook.

Agreed.  Great for stir fry or boiling water quickly but difficult not to burn other things.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 07:48:30 am »
The steaks and shrimp cooked the first video looked pretty good to me! lol 

30wfcs' hot coal method looked to be producing some mouth watering delicacies as well!

What did you all think of SaltyCrackers method of cooking whole catfish?

Codetalkers' method of cooking steaks sounds great also!

The15Members agreement of the quick and easy way on cinderblocks sounds like a winner as well!  As pictured by 30wfc

The setups pictured by Lesgold was interesting and original!

"How To Cook It Outdoors. What's your Way? "
Are there others which might like to contribute with more or interesting ideas of cooking outdoors, or chime in perhaps?

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:31:33 am »
Most of my outdoor cooking is in a tipi on the fire in the middle.  Most of it is on coals, though coffee is often on the flames before they die down to coals.  Fires are small and every effort is made to keep them smokeless so they are either flames or coals.  If there is smoke it's not good.
-------------------

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 01:58:17 pm »
Hot coals are the best for any cooking.  A rocket stove is too hot, though if used indoors, it is a lot less smoky.  Cast iron and hot coals.
Yes sir, cast iron and hot coals is how we roll
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 02:00:47 pm »
Now those ducks you got, I would wrap in wet clay (gutted but still with feathers) and cook them in the coals.  When you pull off the clay the feathers and skin come right off with the clay.  :)  Juicy and delicious.
-------------------

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 02:27:56 pm »
Now those ducks you got, I would wrap in wet clay (gutted but still with feathers) and cook them in the coals.  When you pull off the clay the feathers and skin come right off with the clay.  :)  Juicy and delicious.
I have heard about that, but I've never tried it. I would certainly like to try it.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 08:02:12 pm »
Michael ,
Does that work with chicken as well?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 06:56:36 am »
A small chicken it would probably work.  A Cornish hen (the little ones) would work quite nicely.  I've only done it on small ducks.  Hard to get a larger bird done in the middle.
-------------------

anything