Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen traps  (Read 2383 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Pollen traps
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:52 pm »
I just built a couple of Sundace Pollen trap knock offs for next year. I can find little information on the operation of them. I understand that they are left on and the tubes in place all year but this sounds like it would turn one hive into just a pollen factory. Anybody have any advice for me this year?
Come on lets talk bees!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Pollen traps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »
I got a Sundance II for Christmas, but I haven't put it together yet.  I'd be interested in hearing any tips and tricks as well.  :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:10:31 pm »
I have used a number of pollen traps and have found that the Sundance works the best for me.  I prefer to put them on as a top entrance it saves me having to bend down to empty them. You will have to inspect them regularly as they can fill quite quickly, twice a week works for me. Don't worry about the bees not getting enough pollen as the trap won't take it all. I never run mine during a  dearth, running them in spring and early fall to catch some of the goldenrod and aster pollen. Sometimes bees will get trapped between the scenes, just a few so nothing to worry about.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 01:27:22 pm »
I've been doing some more research on using the Sundance in prep for this season and I have some questions. 
1. I see varying opinions on leaving the trap in the collecting position.  Do you leave the trap in the collecting position all through a flow?  Or do you do a few days on, a few days off?  (Brian, you already answered this question, and thank you; I'm just looking for multiple opinions to help me form a general consensus.) 
2. If there are drones in the hive, will they be trapped inside when the trap is in collecting mode?
3. What are the concerns about pollen and pesticides?  Every article I read mentions that you should be sure the pollen you are collecting hasn't been sprayed or isn't from a neonic treated plant.  I do have some residential areas nearby that may be using pesticides, although nothing that has ever caused my bees noticeable trouble.  Is this something you consider?  Obviously if you were selling pollen it might be an issue, but for your own consumption would you be worried about pesticide contamination?
4. How do you process the pollen for your own personal (not necessarily saleable) consumption?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 04:00:43 pm »
This thread has my interest as well.  Not taking away from you questions Member but adding one. Minz did you build yours with number 5 hardware cloth or something else?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:36:52 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 02:33:57 pm »
I've been doing some more research on using the Sundance in prep for this season and I have some questions. 
1. I see varying opinions on leaving the trap in the collecting position.  Do you leave the trap in the collecting position all through a flow?  Or do you do a few days on, a few days off?  (Brian, you already answered this question, and thank you; I'm just looking for multiple opinions to help me form a general consensus.) 
2. If there are drones in the hive, will they be trapped inside when the trap is in collecting mode?
3. What are the concerns about pollen and pesticides?  Every article I read mentions that you should be sure the pollen you are collecting hasn't been sprayed or isn't from a neonic treated plant.  I do have some residential areas nearby that may be using pesticides, although nothing that has ever caused my bees noticeable trouble.  Is this something you consider?  Obviously if you were selling pollen it might be an issue, but for your own consumption would you be worried about pesticide contamination?
4. How do you process the pollen for your own personal (not necessarily saleable) consumption?     
I leave them on as till I get the pollen I need. Just remember that the trap wont take all the pollen, bees still get plenty.
The Trap has a built in drone escape.
Never worried about contamination.
Preparation can be a bit tedious as you need to get the debris out . To do that I pick it out, using a small fan to blow on it works.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:16:56 pm »
This thread has my interest as well.  Not taking away from you questions Member but adding one. Minz did you build yours with number 5 hardware cloth or something else?

I watched  YouTube video where this guy uses yellow plastic pollen trap covers for increasing the effectiveness of his Sundance. There was an Ebay link in the video. I got them in packs of 10. in hindsight I should have made my hole smaller under the board. On the positive side it allowed me to see how they were constructed. I have no idea of how they ship from whereever for the price these guys charge for stuff.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 07:49:54 pm »
I leave them on as till I get the pollen I need. Just remember that the trap wont take all the pollen, bees still get plenty.
The Trap has a built in drone escape.
Never worried about contamination.
Preparation can be a bit tedious as you need to get the debris out . To do that I pick it out, using a small fan to blow on it works.
Thanks Brian, that helps to clarify things for me. 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 06:05:09 pm »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this thread.  Do most of you not harvest pollen? 

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 06:25:18 pm »
I have plastic entrance traps, trap 3 days a week, clean with a cheap fan, put in baggies 1 lb., then in freezer. Use for personal use, give to kids for their allergies, and sell wholesale by the lb. I tried drying once in my dehydrator, wasnt worth the time or energy to me.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 09:22:11 pm »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this thread.  Do most of you not harvest pollen? 

Member,
No I have never collected pollen. The first time I picked up a piece of pollen and ate it I had an allergic reaction, cold like symptoms that disappeared that night. After that I didn?t try it for several years. Now I?m ok with eating it but you have to bee careful about using it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 07:50:37 pm »
The Sundance II goes on top and to turn it off, you simply remove it.  The Sundance goes on the bottom and has a flap you can open or close to trap or not trap.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 01:23:26 am »

Due to the regular rain in my area, I elected to go with the Sundance traps.  I just received 3 of them (bottom mount version) and look forward to trying them. I opted for these over the front/entrance mount plastic traps to ensure the pollen stays as dry as possible.  Indeed, the Sundance has drone escapes.  I've read that passing's the pollen through the air stream of a small fan removes most of the debris.  If you don't dehydrate it, freeze it until using.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:13:24 am by JurassicApiary »

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 11:11:40 am »
Jurassic, let me know how these work out for you, the rain is what dictates my pollen collection. Being as I have a market and use on my bees collection during times of in climate weather would be a plus.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 11:46:23 am »
Thanks for all the additional replies, everyone.  It helps me to get a handle on what people really do. 

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 12:28:40 pm »
Jurassic, let me know how these work out for you, the rain is what dictates my pollen collection. Being as I have a market and use on my bees collection during times of in climate weather would be a plus.

Will do. 

anything