Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen traps  (Read 248 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Pollen traps
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:52 pm »
I just built a couple of Sundace Pollen trap knock offs for next year. I can find little information on the operation of them. I understand that they are left on and the tubes in place all year but this sounds like it would turn one hive into just a pollen factory. Anybody have any advice for me this year?
Come on lets talk bees!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online The15thMember

• Queen Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Pollen traps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »
I got a Sundance II for Christmas, but I haven't put it together yet.  I'd be interested in hearing any tips and tricks as well.  :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• New Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Pollen traps
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:10:31 pm »
I have used a number of pollen traps and have found that the Sundance works the best for me.  I prefer to put them on as a top entrance it saves me having to bend down to empty them. You will have to inspect them regularly as they can fill quite quickly, twice a week works for me. Don't worry about the bees not getting enough pollen as the trap won't take it all. I never run mine during a  dearth, running them in spring and early fall to catch some of the goldenrod and aster pollen. Sometimes bees will get trapped between the scenes, just a few so nothing to worry about.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great