Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Survey for some students  (Read 563 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Survey for some students
« on: December 15, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »
Some college students have contacted me about a project they are working on to make a hive monitoring tool.  The survey is on Google.  I tried it to make sure there was nothing nefarious.  They would appreciate your input.

https://forms.gle/e8pi9DkhKZ1ppxnNA
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Queen Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Survey for some students
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:18:04 pm »
Taken!   :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »
X2
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:47:11 pm »
Done

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:46:53 pm »
Submitted

Offline yes2matt

• House Bee
  • Newbee in an urban setting, starting small.
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 07:06:24 am »
I took it, I'm curious the emphasis on temperature. How would temperature/distribution be useful for remote monitoring?
" The flu was rampant and we wore flu masks. " -- Jay Smith, _Better Queens_

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:28:19 am »
Matt,
For one thing, it would tell you the size of the brood area or lack there of.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:04:53 pm »
Done. :)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• New Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:35:36 pm »
Servey is done.

Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 09:30:04 pm »
I think you could tell most everything that a sensor would tell you if you put a temperature sensor in the brood nest and one at the top and then analyzed the differences between those two and the fluctuations.  And you had a microphone and analyzed the sound.  The differences in temperatures and the fluctuations would tell you if it's a strong colony or a weak one.  Maybe even tell you if the top box is oocupied or not, which would tell if you need to add a super.  A weak colony has trouble maintaining a constant temperature in the brood nest.  The sound could tell you if they are being robbed, about to swarm, or are queenless.  You would need a computer probably to do a good analysis of those situations, but from having an observation hive in my living room I think you could program it to tell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Field Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Survey for some students
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 10:18:26 pm »
Survey completed.
As for what data can be gathered, is helpful, and is of value: check out the graphs of some of these

https://map.beecounted.org/citizen_science/embedded_map
Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:39 pm »
Done.

Sal
Salvo

Offline Bob Wilson

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:12:59 am »
Done.
I suppose they want all different levels of beeks.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 10:30:22 am »
Survey completed.
As for what data can be gathered, is helpful, and is of value: check out the graphs of some of these

Wow !  That is the first time I ever really spent time looking at temperature data for a hive (looked at a Rochester NY hive). You really CAN see cluster movement. That is quite interesting!
I have been successfully avoiding spending the money for electronic hive monitoring. 
Darn you HoneyPump !  You're going to "make" me spend money!  :wink: :grin:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline yes2matt

• House Bee
  • Newbee in an urban setting, starting small.
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 06:49:51 am »
Survey completed.

You can see them move up on this one. https://map.beecounted.org/hive/summary/h5LO

Pretty neat!  I could use it for sure. Tho it would be a different sort of experience, reading a graph vs reading a brood frame. especially at scale.
" The flu was rampant and we wore flu masks. " -- Jay Smith, _Better Queens_

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 09:00:38 pm »
I took it, I'm curious the emphasis on temperature. How would temperature/distribution be useful for remote monitoring?
Matt,
For one thing, it would tell you the size of the brood area or lack there of.
Jim Altmiller
I think you could tell most everything that a sensor would tell you if you put a temperature sensor in the brood nest and one at the top and then analyzed the differences between those two and the fluctuations.  And you had a microphone and analyzed the sound.  The differences in temperatures and the fluctuations would tell you if it's a strong colony or a weak one. 

It's unreal what you can learn with a few sensors. Some kid turned me onto these Govee bluetooth temp/humidity sensors on Amazon for ~$14. I bought a couple, then decided to buy several more. I have one on my porch for a control. I have them on top of frames between sugar bricks, in 10-frame hives of several sizes/strengths as well as Lyson 6-frame poly nucs.

They make a WiFi model for about $35, but I decided I didn't need to be checking them all day from work or other places on earth. I can get a reading on some from my back door, and the rest from my kitchen window (they broadcast every 2 minutes). I have one strong colony that's cranked up heat and started brooding (pollen sub outside may have been a mistake, we'll see), and another that was started late and robbed. Don't think they would make it but now they are over a double-screen board enjoying a strong colony's heat. Admittedly, it's just nice to know everyone's alive without resorting to other methods.

I haven't aggregated any data or drawn any conclusions. Also, never even thought about the microphone thing so thanks Mr. Bush. I can tell you that if I would have made predictions about the temp/humidity of these hives I would have been wrong. Come to think of it, if I'd made predictions about anything bee-related, I'd be wrong so don't go by that. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]