Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Goldenrod?
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:12:56 am »
Yesterday I rescued my hive from the tall weeds and I am smelling goldenrod.  Is there something in south florida that mimics the smell of goldenrod?  I don't see any in the fields down here unless goldenrod looks different.
On another note this hive is very active but not the honey producer that I am use to in upstate NY.  I have decided to get the hive off the ground and put it on a stand similar to Jim's hives.  I was reluctant to do this because I didn't want to deal with a hive using a ladder.  It doesn't appear that I will have to down here.  Actually I am happy about that because I don't need that much honey for personal use.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Goldenrod?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:56:35 am »
Our Goldenrod is long since dead.
Is there a lot of orange pollen coming in?
That would be Brazilian Pepper.
It does not grow up here so I do not know when it blooms other than in the fall.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Goldenrod?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:36:50 am »
I think the Brazilian pepper is long gone.  The hive is on the light side, weight in the top and bottom box next to nothing in the middle.  I probably should have pulled the middle one out but I want to get the bottom one out.  Unfortunately that had the most bees and I don't think I can pull frames because of cross comb.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it