Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Left Behind Queen  (Read 95 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Left Behind Queen
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:33 am »
I recently watched a video where a hive had apparently absconded. The queen was left behind. In a situation such as this is the queen usually worth saving? Your thoughts please.
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: Left Behind Queen
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:49:46 am »
I've never heard of a hive absconding and abandoning the queen.  I had a cut-out try to abscond this summer; They all rushed out and took to the air, but I had a queen excluder in place anticipating this possibility and about 20 minutes later everyone got back in the hive because Her Highness didn't come out.  It would seem odd that they would actually leave her behind and not return to retrieve her as mentioned in your post as that behavior would spell doom for the colony.

Although rare, is it possible that there was a second queen that went unnoticed that they fled with?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Field Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Left Behind Queen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:58 am »
Was the queen marked?  I could envision such a situation where there was a soon to emerge queen cell.   Everyone left except the 15-20 bees tending the queen cell. (They did not get the memo). The mass of the colony leaves (abscond ... or dies). The Queen cell emerges and there she is.  A virgin and 20 bees left with a big house.
Often I beg to know more details when folks talk of a hive that they say absconded.  It is quite a rare occurrence in my experience.  Usually, that abscond turns out to actually be a case of CCD.
Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz