Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybees and US Wildfires  (Read 112 times)

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Honeybees and US Wildfires
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:20:25 pm »
I've been wondering as of late about beekeepers in CA, WA and OR and how they have been faring the wildfires in the west coast.  I know it's an arduous task, but since many of the large operators there are used to migrating hives for pollination of almonds, etc., does anyone know if any attempted to relocate their apiaries that were in the path of the current fires?  That would be a ton of work but when your entire stock of bees is at risk, it seems like a motivating factor.

It seems many smaller apiaries have been impacted for sure based on this article I found online that was posted earlier this month.  Very sad...

https://beemission.com/blogs/news/millions-of-bees-in-500-beehives-burn-in-california-wildfires

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Honeybees and US Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Online Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »
That sucks. If I lived in a area prone for fires I would be prepared for that.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:02:40 pm »
Randy Oliver's sons had to move four yards.  Three of the yards were removed from the area, but the last yard wasn't allowed to be removed because the fire was too close for them to enter the area.  Luck was with them, and the fire did not jump a road that ran beside the bee yard.  This saved their colonies.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »
Randy Oliver's sons had to move four yards.  Three of the yards were removed from the area, but the last yard wasn't allowed to be removed because the fire was too close for them to enter the area.  Luck was with them, and the fire did not jump a road that ran beside the bee yard.  This saved their colonies.

Geez, what a lot of work and headache that had to be.  Not to mention with how dry it has been it will take time for the flora to return before bringing the bees back to the area. At least they were able to relocate and save the hives and fortunately the fire spared the last one.  Talk about close for comfort!