Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Covid 19 Isolation  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
Covid 19 Isolation
« on: August 07, 2020, 11:19:06 pm »
   Was going to head into town to visit the library when the thought of masks, lockdown, shutdown,isolate , restrictions and limitations brought about the dropping of that idea for now.
   Instead I have been on Beemasters Forum just trolling back over about 15 years of all my messages and every ones posts. So interesting I will be now occupied for a few days only to be wondering where are so many of the Posters over the years have got too.
  I hope this post sparks up some interest as to " Where and what are they up to today". As I continue trolling I will probably put up some names that I relate to.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline cao

• Queen Bee
Re: Covid 19 Isolation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:09:16 am »
I have been on here for half the time you have and I too have wondered what has become of a lot of the posters of the past.  Hope you are doing well and hope to see you posting for another 15 years. :grin:

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 01:49:41 am »

Thanks  Cao  !  !

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24:13 am »
Hi Folks,

Who here misses Finsky?

Sal
Salvo

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:29:59 am »
I don't know about Finsky, but I sure miss Bluebee. He was about as good a friend as Cider.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:43:24 am »
Self-isolation is perhaps one of the more effective ways of keeping the CV19 out. Not an option for me, though.  I'm an 'essential' worker.  My job does require some contact with over a dozen different people, most of whom get regularly screened. 
I also live alone, which helps minimize people contact,  but it means I do my own shopping, with its accompanying contact sources.
Mask is required at work.  I have asked contractors to leave on a couple occasions that refused to wear one, but most of the day I have to myself in my office and warehouse.
Mask is required in businesses and public buildings in my county.  some places enforce it to lesser degree than others.  I steer clear of the no-maskers. 

I have had a couple medical matters recently that required getting CV19 tested before the procedures.  Both testes negative.  doctors require that I minimize my contact with other people.  Mostly it ends up minimizing contact with my family and friends.  Even my dog is supposed to stay away from me.
Sometimes it gets a bit lonely.  But then I check into Beemaster and find a friendly post or 2.  Except lately the Coffee House has been quite polarized, similar to Facebook's politics which is very sad, for I dumped Facebook because of all its nasty, hateful, polarized politics.

I hope you can find a good book soon, Geoff.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 03:53:31 pm »
Hi Folks,

Who here misses Finsky?

Sal

I do!

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 03:56:02 pm »
We have been keeping it pretty low key here. My husband has some health issues which makes COVID very high risk for him, so we are just trying to keep busy at home.  The most he's done is to go out and hit some golf balls at the driving range.  We've been walking a LOT which is nice, we have some conservation land right next door and are not too far from hiking trails and mountains so we've just been doing that.  Lots of bee stuff this year. Up to 5 hives from 2 packages this spring... drawn comb is the BEST

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:07 pm »

Just an update Hops, yesterday I had phone call from our regional library that at this time they are running a home delivery of books one can order either online or by phone.
   They have a very good online catalog which I may have a look at today.

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:16 am »

I was going to ask about that.  We have a good online option here too.  Nothing replaces fingering the real books though.   :cheesy:

I confess that I do a lot of downloads and audiobooks.  I finally got Kindle Unlimited because they have so many books available and lots of them have audio much cheaper than subscribing to Audible.

They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline The15thMember

• Queen Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:57:21 am »
Nothing replaces fingering the real books though.   :cheesy:
This is like a foundational principle of my existence.  I couldn't stand to read e-books.  Maybe a nonfiction book, but I could never, ever read fiction off a screen.  It's such a soulless existence for a book. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 01:13:21 am »
Nothing replaces fingering the real books though.   :cheesy:
This is like a foundational principle of my existence.  I couldn't stand to read e-books.  Maybe a nonfiction book, but I could never, ever read fiction off a screen.  It's such a soulless existence for a book.

I agree, a good real book is nice.   

.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:40:07 am by Ben Framed »
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 11:15:56 am »

Just an update Hops, yesterday I had phone call from our regional library that at this time they are running a home delivery of books one can order either online or by phone.
Right on! 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 02:48:38 pm »
I couldn't stand to read e-books.

I agree in spirit, but since we both travel a fair amount, my luggage and TSA thank me for the e-reader  :grin:  I still have a big stack of real books by the bed that I am working through, though.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 09:04:27 am »
I feel like the luckiest man in the world for a number of reasons. We found this house that needed major work and I have spent the last year working 7 days a week renovating it.  For the most part Covid has not changed my life until now.  The house is almost done so now what am I going to do?  Being idle is not what I do best.  We did have to cancel a cruise to Alaska.  Much to my surprise Alaska is now at risk of covid infections.  I guess no place is safe from covid even in thin populations.
Cheer up folks, Russia has a vaccine.  Maybe Trump and Putin will be the first to use it...
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 09:25:31 am »
No Vaccine necessary?  The following video was placed 4 months ago featuring Stanford University and its group of researchers, including the Nobel prize winning professor. The report percentage wise has proven true. And apparently so he has the hysteria.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:06 am »
IDK if no vaccine is necissary.  IF we got a good and safe vaccine it would be good for the most vulneralbe. 

This should not be a surprise.  It's a virus.  It is doing what they all do.  It is working its way though hosts.  It happens that this one is very contagous and in some very deadly, but that is also normal. 

We may or may not get long lasting immunity, but that is not all that matters.  They body will learn to recognize this virus as it does others and even though it might not have kept the antibodies, it will be far more effective at fighting it.

The idea that you can stop a virus by locking everything down was always stupid.  Those countries that tried are now hosting the virus.  If you are a flipping island and you don't care about your economy, I guess you can lock down forever...or try to.  It seems not to be working even for the islands.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 10:50:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

You gotta ask yourself: Who is getting HURT from this LOCK DOWN,... and WHY.

WHO'S NOT GETTING HURT:
Government workers .
ALL GOVERNMENT WORKERS (You have no idea.).
Teachers
Politicians.
Government aid recipients
Rich people.
People who work in media, for PBS.
Wal Mart.
Target.
Amazon.

WHO'S GETTING HURT
Essential workers.
Kids and old people working in supermarkets.
Small and medium business/store owners.
Middle class workers, the hard working kind of people.
People with mortgages.
People with car payments.
People with sick kids.
OLD PEOPLE IN NURSING HOMES.
People who get regular dental care.
People who get regular haircuts and hair-dos.
People who need regular medical attention, mental and physical.
People who have kids and jobs.
KIDS. The good kind.
Little kids.
High school grads.
Grads who intended to go on to college.
Parents of those kids.

ALL THE HARD WORKING PEOPLE WHO MAKE AMERICA WHAT IT IS/WAS/WILL BE AGAIN!!!!!

Who did I leave out?

Never let a good crisis go to waste,... eh?

If we can't tax it away from you,... WE'LL BURN YOUR WEALTH AND HAPPINESS BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN GET IT!!!!

You have no right to expect your children to get a good education.
You and your small business didn't build this!
You have no right to have secure employment.
You have no right to expect SECURITY.
You have no right to be happy.
You can't go to Church.
You can't go to the beach.
You can't have parties.
You can't go to restaurants.
You can't go to funerals.
WEAR THAT MASK!
You can't go on vacations.
You can't travel freely.

What did I leave out?

Listen. I don't want measles.
I don't want the flu.
I don't want mumps.
I don't want aids (How's that vaccine workin' out for you?)
I don't want Triple E.
I don't want Lyme.

I won't die from Covid. And likely, not many on this forum will die from Covid.

I'm old. I'm a bit portly. When I die, I want to go like my grandfather, in my sleep. Not like those other people in his car, screaming.

DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!

All of this forced, extended lock down has two aims.
1. Level the economic playing field. Spread the misery around.
2. Get rid of Trump.

Sorry for the rant. No! No I'm not sorry.

Sal

Salvo

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:50 am »
The idea that you can stop a virus by locking everything down was always stupid.
To those who think that you can't it is stupid.  To those that think that you can it is common sense.  It buys time.  Valuable time that was wasted by the bumbling fool in the white house.  I wonder what the world would face if the same complacent attitude was in place for AIDS and ebola.  Your right Kathy stupidity is a big problem.  It makes all problems worse.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 10:00:45 am »
Tell me, Ace, does the mask protect the wearer or the people around them?

Considering the size of a virus and the size of the pores in cloth, I would think it is like throwing a handful of bb's at a chain link fence. Just how many will be stopped?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*