Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi everyone. Buddying new beekeeper from Melbourne australia  (Read 129 times)

Offline Pala

• New Bee
hi guys,

Just registered with the site today and wanting to just say hi.
I'm from Frankston south in Melbourne, have just purchased my first flow hive and am awaiting delivery of a new colony in September.

I have a huge yard with a ridiculous amount of flowers (previous owner created a jungle), spent some time the past few days making them a nice little home in the front yard, and will be staining and painting the hive when it arrives tomorrow.

Attached is a pic/video of where I plant to be putting my hive.

Any tips or recommendations on the spot? I plan to have the entrance pointing towards the trees which is a northerly direction, not towards the fences you can see.

Any helps appreciated guys.

Thanks again

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline cao

• Queen Bee
Re: Hi everyone. Buddying new beekeeper from Melbourne australia
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:43 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:30 am »
hi guys,

Just registered with the site today and wanting to just say hi.
I'm from Frankston south in Melbourne, have just purchased my first flow hive and am awaiting delivery of a new colony in September.

I have a huge yard with a ridiculous amount of flowers (previous owner created a jungle), spent some time the past few days making them a nice little home in the front yard, and will be staining and painting the hive when it arrives tomorrow.

Attached is a pic/video of where I plant to be putting my hive.

Any tips or recommendations on the spot? I plan to have the entrance pointing towards the trees which is a northerly direction, not towards the fences you can see.

Any helps appreciated guys.

Thanks again

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Hi Pala, as a fellow member I welcome you. Beautiful picture! Love it!
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline Garigal

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:05:06 am »
Front yard could be an issue if any of their flight paths cross any public walkways, passers by may complain to your local council etc.

Make sure you get registered as a beekeeper if you haven?t already, I believe it?s free in VIC.

https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/livestock-and-animals/honey-bees/hobby-beekeeping

Offline Bob Wilson

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »
Welcome. I hope your beekeeping startup goes great.
Most people in my area keep the hives facing east. Our rain storms (and winter winds) tend to come from the west, and that drives rain into a west facing entrance.
Then there is also the issue of facing the entrance away from close by people areas.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:23:07 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller