Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it just me, or have lumber prices gone stupid?  (Read 451 times)

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
Is it just me, or have lumber prices gone stupid?
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:14 am »
I haven't bought much lumber over the years.  However, after seeing Jim's shop and recently acquiring some key shop tools myself, I decided to take a swing at making a few medium boxes.  (I'm slowly converting to an all-medium operation)

$13 FOR AN 8' 1X8?!?  Has it always been that crazy?  No, this wasn't some superfine highly finished plank.  This was a common board basic 1x8.

Now, I still saved money over buying new (5 boxes from 4 planks), and I gained a lot of confidence and experience with the table saw, compound miter saw, 90 degree clamp, and dado set.  However, I don't remember wood being so nuts!
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Re: Is it just me, or have lumber prices gone stupid?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:41 pm »
It?s the way it is here also. I can buy the boxes ready to assemble cheaper than I can buy the lumber to cut them myself. Tops and bottoms I can cut myself. 

I?m guessing you?d need to order in quantity to get a price cut on the lumber.

I still enjoy doing it all myself at times.

Building like hives like Father Michael?s and others who build hives that are more than just a home for bees is also something you can?t buy pre-made.

Kevin

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:11:35 am »
> $13 FOR AN 8' 1X8?!?  Has it always been that crazy?  No, this wasn't some superfine highly finished plank.  This was a common board basic 1x8.

Sounds like Lowes or Home Depot prices to me. Try a lumber yard. I just paid $12.69 for 1x10 x14s at a nearby lumber yard and they load for you. Wood is of excellent quality. Straight and no bows.

Phillip Hall
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:57:10 am »
> $13 FOR AN 8' 1X8?!?  Has it always been that crazy?  No, this wasn't some superfine highly finished plank.  This was a common board basic 1x8.

Sounds like Lowes or Home Depot prices to me. Try a lumber yard. I just paid $12.69 for 1x10 x14s at a nearby lumber yard and they load for you. Wood is of excellent quality. Straight and no bows.

Phillip Hall

Good call.  Home Depot.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 02:07:21 pm »
Priced some lumber here in Honolulu at Lowes a few weeks back.  Our prices are always higher than stores in the contiguous states due to the extra shipping incurred in barging everything over:

1x8x8 - $16.67

1x10x8 - $18.13

1x12x8 - $24.48
1x12x12 - $30.52

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 01:15:32 pm »
Priced some lumber here in Honolulu at Lowes a few weeks back.  Our prices are always higher than stores in the contiguous states due to the extra shipping incurred in barging everything over:

1x8x8 - $16.67

1x10x8 - $18.13

1x12x8 - $24.48
1x12x12 - $30.52

Now THAT is insane.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:11 pm »
About 5 days ago, at my local lumber yard, I bought five 8 ft 1x8s for $10.60 each. Lot nicer lumber than I can get at Home Depot. No cup and no twist.
jimmy

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 02:13:40 pm »
About 5 days ago, at my local lumber yard, I bought five 8 ft 1x8s for $10.60 each. Lot nicer lumber than I can get at Home Depot. No cup and no twist.

Such a tease.   :wink:

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 03:30:56 pm »

Without the twists, how else are you going to build those art-deco hives for hipster bees?  lol
-Matthew Pence/Stitch