Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: legthargic bees  (Read 54 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
legthargic bees
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:42 am »
I opened a three deep hive I left over winter, thinking I would harvest any honey in the spring.  Well, I watched the hive this AM no traffic, knocked on hive box no sound, I opened them up.  I hit enter instead of shift.  there were lots of bees but they were all very lethargic, the other hives near this one are working.  My first thought is no queen, but they were not aggressive at all.  ???????????

Online van from Arkansas

• Queen Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: legthargic bees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:05:27 pm »
Any brood, we were 92f yesterday and you, Paus, are way south of me.  Is your area warm enough for inspections?
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

Offline guitarstitch

• New Bee
Re: legthargic bees
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »
Three things to investigate every time you open a hive: Mood, Food, and Brood.

-Mood: are they calm or particularly pissy?  Are they calmly moving around working frames, or hurriedly scurrying about?  How about the sound of the hive?  Calm hum?  Roar?  Angry buzz?

-Food: How are their stores?  If no stores exist, it might not be a bad idea to feed.

-Brood: Do you see brood in all stages?  Are the cell caps full, pinholed, or sunken?  How is the laying pattern?