Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to stop feeding syrup to just-installed package?  (Read 983 times)

Offline maggie_lee

• New Bee
  • Atlanta
When to stop feeding syrup to just-installed package?
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:35 pm »
Hi all,

New beekeeper here, on Thursday I installed my first package. I have a top bar hive.

The can of syrup That Came with them was nearly full, and I had made a feeder too, so I Put both in the hive.

How can I tell when they don?t need syrup anymore?  Maybe I should check a maple?

- the syrup is going down very slowly, my pint jar feeder has gone down less than a quarter inch in 4 days.

- SOme bees were already bringing pollen in on Sunday.

- tons of henbit is blooming and some white cloveR and wild cherry.  BlackBerry is starting. Poplar hasn?t started yet.

- it was getting up past 70 this weekend, but it was rainy and chilly Today.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When to stop feeding syrup to just-installed package?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:05:57 pm »
I would leave it on until you make your first inspection, then decide if they need it when you see what they have stored.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:25:54 pm »
Keeping bees, like most things is life, is both an art and a science.

I know one package bee seller says to feed for 40 days.

Last spring I got a strong nuc that felt light after a few weeks even though we had a major flow; so, I started feeding and they boomed.  They just needed a boost to get started, apparently.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:59 pm »
what iddee said x2

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:25:02 pm »
I don't live near my hives so I need to do things a little differently.  Iddee and cao are correct, but my experience is bees won't take sugar syrup if something out there is better.  For that reason I feed packages two quarts or more per week.  The more they take the more I feed.  I winter medium over deep, once they reach that size I slow it down adjusting for dearth. 
All locations are different, and five beekeepers will give you six different answers, I suggest you speak to people at your local bee club and see what they are doing.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 02:45:51 pm »
In my relatively limited experience, I typically feed until they either stop taking the syrup or until I'm ready to super the hive.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline maggie_lee

• New Bee
  • Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 04:12:12 pm »
Thanks everybody!  One of my beekeeping neighbors also said she finds bees prefer natural food if they can find it and will just bypass the syrup.  So yea, I dont reckon it will hurt to keep a jar of food in there and watch.