Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells aren't hatching  (Read 74 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Queen cells aren't hatching
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:46:25 pm »
I did 10 splits with capped QC's on February 14th (from 4 hives). I checked them today. 6 of them did not hatch the QC'S. I'm assuming that I already know why: not enough nurse bees to keep the queen cells warm. All the un-hatched cells were on the bottom of the frames - all had multiple cells unhatched.

I put a lot of "bees" in these splits, but they must have contained a lot of field bees. Each of the failed splits had a very small amount of bees, whereas the 3 queenright hives were quite loaded with bees.

Of the remaining 4, 3 are queenright, and 1 hatched but didn't return from her mating flights.

30% wasn't what I was hoping for ... the learning continues ...   :smile:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jtcmedic

• House Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Queen cells aren't hatching
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:04:58 pm »
I was in the same boat, I did my splits and we had a drop in temps in lost 2 of the. Just made 2 more. As the weather is going to be wonderful.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »
It's been in the mid 60's up to the low 80's here. Nothing too cold.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:44:22 pm »
Hi CB
Out of interest sake did you open the cells that didnt hatch...if so what did you find?
I ask this because a fellow beek/friend of mine was recently given 3 cells from a hobby queen breeder which never hatched. He took them to a club meeting and opened them up....nothing inside!
Anyone have an explanation.