Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sap is running!  (Read 96 times)

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
Sap is running!
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:00:45 am »
Tapped 20 walnut last week got 20 gallons today. 
Tapped 12 more walnut and 1 maple this afternoon before the ice storm. 
Looking forward to a good 4 week season!.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Sap is running!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:28:47 am »
I grew up tapping the maples and making Maple syrup - mmmm, one of my favorite times of year!

... but I've never heard of tapping walnuts. What do you get out of tapping walnut trees?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 01:17:55 pm »
Jvalentour - were these black walnut trees?  I had never heard of this until your post.  I've tried to find black walnut flavoring to use in cooking but can only find artificial flavor and won't use that.  Would love to know more about what you are doing
The edge . . . there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is, are the ones who have gone over.

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:26 pm »
Yes they are black walnut trees. 
The sugar content is not as good as maple but it's 4th or 5th on the list.  My woods are predominately walnut, locust, oak now that the insects have killed out the ash. 
In years past I have only made enough for the family, looks like I timed it out better this year and will have some extra to share. 
It tastes sweet like maple with a mild nut flavor. 

There are several trees one may tap, such as birch and sycamore.  They just need to be boiled down longer.
Black walnut syrup is not a product for those with nut allergies.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:38:02 pm »
Very cool - thanks for sharing
The edge . . . there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is, are the ones who have gone over.