Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Ralphee

• New Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
Re: New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 12:10:45 am »
There are rumors is Aus that stores are refusing to let people return toilet paper that they have hoarded. If you wasted all your money buying toilet paper - and stopping others from getting any by doing this - then you can keep it! They are restocking shelves pretty quickly (some stores are keeping stock on the shelves) but many are still selling out
Hopefully they concentrate on getting the hand sanitizer stocks up, and keeping them high - this will help prevent the spread better than most anything else

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 01:35:25 am »
Went to Sams tonight to stock up, just in case.....
There was no fresh meat, no frozen meat, no canned food except 1 gallon size.  Fresh vege's were low.
Understand, the huge meat coolers for fresh beef, chicken, pork, fish were empty....
No paper supplies whatsoever...
I live in a relatively middle class neighborhood.  People are planning for the worst. 
You can say what you want, this is what is happening. 
KP, I usually agree with you.  Not so much today.
We have three days of fresh food to prepare in our frig.  If the stores don't restock, we start eating frozen meat and canned food (which is ok). 
I own a daycare. 
We can't get nitrile gloves, purile hand cleaner, anti-bac soap, snack food, and toilet paper.  This is real.  It might be only temporary but it's happening.

As of this writing, there are FIVE WuhanVirus confirmed in Ohio.  All in the Yankee part, (North).

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 09:40:21 am »
Seriously, wait until a person walks into a public restroom, one item will be missing, TP.

Water utilities in Oz are putting reminders out to the public not to flush Wet wipes (even the ?flushable? ones are not flushable!) and other items like newsprint

There is going to be so much raw sewage flowing across the ground with pump station and line blockages if people flush that rubbish because of a lack of toilet paper

Flat ground is fine, the lines surcharge and pans gurgle before things overflow. Hills are different, sewers are shallow and as soon as a line blockage occurs the next maintenance shaft upstream overflows with raw sewage.

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:11 pm »
KP, I usually agree with you.  Not so much today.

I am not sure which bit you disagree with, but that's OK   :grin:

I keep at least 30 days of dried goods and supplies in my house.  I started doing that when I started doing disaster relief and saw how unprepared most people are.  Everyone expected that someone would be there with stuff for them.  When they didn't have immediate relief, they got angry and blamed everyone for their own lack of preparation. 

I guess I separate in my mind fact vs reaction. 

China let this thing spread around for a couple of months and those infected people traveled and spread it all over the world.  By the time it was out, it was to late go stop it.  I don't have a problem with a lot of what is being done by states, but it is fair to remember that when federal money flows, states do things to take advantage of that.  Some of the reactions are calculated.

We most definitely will have interruptions of the supply chain.  I hope we learn from this.  We can't count on having what we can't produce in our own country.  Disruption of services would be more catastrophic, but I don't see that happening. 

We have a national stockpile of stuff.  We have military mobile hospitals and they are full function, full service, and can be put up in less than a day anywhere they are needed.

The panic is more a function of our not being used to someone telling us we can't have or do stuff.  We are spoiled that way. 

Our state just canceled school for at least a couple of weeks.  I expect the internet to crash   :cheesy:

They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Online The15thMember

• Field Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 12:42:17 pm »
My mom and sister ran to the store this morning and the only shortage we're having around here at the moment is toilet paper.  My sister was joking that for some reason people think the only thing they need to survive snow around here is bread, and the only thing they need to survive a pandemic is toilet paper!  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 02:06:19 pm »
I found where some of the TP is going. I was in a hotel in San Diego for the last few days. I happened to walk by the room where they keep the Maid supplies, when the door was open. They had MOUNTAINS of cases of TP. I hadn't really thought about it, but if a hotel, or a stadium, of a convention center ran out of TP - that wouldn't be good for them.

Just the same - I still don't see why they'd run out - unless all TP is made in China now  :grin: - or the trucks stopped running our freeways to restock the stores ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 02:19:24 pm »
unless all TP is made in China now

It's one of the few things we still make in the US.
Apparently TP hoarding is an international thing over the years.

http://theconversation.com/theres-plenty-of-toilet-paper-in-the-us-so-why-are-people-hoarding-it-133300
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 02:52:15 pm »
... I expect the internet to crash   :cheesy:

Now, that would cause a panic! ... (for most people).
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nock

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 10:03:51 pm »
No school here till the 13th. Way things are going I don?t expect them back this school year. 

Offline FloridaGardener

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2020, 10:19:15 pm »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And so it has come to this....

Offline FloridaGardener

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 10:30:21 pm »
@KathyP
Oh and as far as stockpiling ...

https://www.history.com/news/government-cheese-dairy-farmers-reagan

This is the punch line:
"In 2018, the national cheese stockpile hit an all-time high, with 1.39 billion pounds of surplus cheese sitting in American warehouses."

Oh. No.

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 11:23:04 am »
Oh and as far as stockpiling ...

I don't qualify for the free cheese line anymore, but that Velveta stuff they used to pass out was not bad!  I figured they'd already spent my little bit of tax money on it, so I might as well get some back.   :grin:  My one foray into "free stuff".

I don't think we will have an issue with a lack of food in this country.  We produce more than we can eat.  Where we might have a problem is in distribution.  We can use things like the National Guard for transportation if we need to and if states cooperate  AND if the NG is not being used to enforce quarantine.  Hope it doesn't get to that.

On the economic + side, any kind of home food delivery business is booming.  I get the fruit and veggie box from Imperfect Foods and they are slammed with orders right now.  There are always bright spots no matter how bad things get!

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 01:31:54 pm »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And so it has come to this....

Now that is funny! 

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2020, 11:21:55 am »
Common sense, food for thought.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 03:10:15 pm »
Good post Phillip. Thanks for posting it. It shows how much our media is against the US.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 07:07:23 pm »
Todays statistics update and facts. 

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 07:57:11 pm »
That was good.  I can't believe how much nutty info is out there. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:07 pm »

>That was good. I can't believe how much nutty info is out there.

Good point Kathy. From the first reports I was hearing when this first started, millions would be dead in China alone by now. Look closely at the numbers on the chart.  (If the chart is accurate), and I tend to think it is.

Hum...........  Makes me wonder, "are we being deceived"? And if so by whom?  Hum........

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2020, 11:53:47 pm »
>"Last month, the national cheese stockpile hit an all-time high, with 1.39 billion pounds of surplus cheese sitting in American warehouses".

Interesting article Kathy, Thank you for posting.

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2020, 06:44:33 am »
""Hum...........  Makes me wonder, "are we being deceived"? And if so by whom?  Hum........""

By every politician in Washington and the 50 capital cities, that's who.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*