Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
Good luck Jim.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2020, 11:11:13 am »
I am hearing test, test, test. It seems every news station I watch or read is pushing testing very hard. What is to be accomplished by such a wide spread of testing? Either we have it or we don?t. Either we have had it or we haven?t. I suppose the testing will reveal that as well. What is this wide girth of testing for?

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2020, 01:24:56 pm »

Testing here is now open to all comers free of charge so the state government can see if there are any undiagnosed cases of community transmission.

some places are doing that here.  I have mixed feelings about it.  For people going back to work it is nice to know if they are infected, but the test is a snapshot in time.  You may become infected tomorrow.

The antibody test seems more valuable overall to me. 

But hey, whatever it takes to unwind the mess that's been made.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2020, 02:08:12 pm »
Is your DNA also being collected with this test?

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2020, 02:41:37 pm »
Is your DNA also being collected with this test?

People worry about that but it's another horse out of the barn.  In the 90s the military started collecting DNA samples from service members.  Made some sense.  Sometimes you only have that to ID a person.  Since, DNA has been collected and shared without our knowledge by all kinds of places, most notably to research facilities by our medical facilities.

Most of that is supposed to be shared blind, but who knows.  Honestly, on my list of things that worry my, that's way low on the list.   :cheesy:
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2020, 10:09:34 pm »
No elective procedures until the end of the month. How absurd!

....  How many diseases are being missed, or biopsies not done because of this?  Their definition of elective is anything other than an emergency.  My mother in CA had an angiogram scheduled for last month and it was canceled.  That's kinda important, but it's not an emergency...until she dies I guess.

Now that you bring this up Kathy - our friend just died last Friday from an undiagnosed gastrointestinal infection. They sent her home on the 1st visit without checking her out because of "Covid". She was back 2 days later, but it was too late. 36 years old and beautiful. Very sad!  :angry:
My condolences, may she rest in peace.
The cost of her life in the war against Covid will never be appropriately counted.

You have every right to be angry. Write your elected representatives and let them know. Mention her by name and describe the family she left behind for impact.

Tom

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2020, 10:12:15 pm »
Apparently we are not following the newly discovered science.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Cuomo says it?s ?shocking? most new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who had been staying home
Most new Covid-19 hospitalizations in New York state are from people who were staying home and not venturing much outside, a ?shocking? finding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.   
The preliminary data was from 100 New York hospitals involving about 1,000 patients, Cuomo said at his daily briefing.It shows that 66% of new admissions were from people who had largely been sheltering at home. The next highest source of admissions was from nursing homes, 18%.

?If you notice, 18% of the people came from nursing homes, less than 1% came from jail or prison, 2% came from the homeless population, 2% from other congregate facilities, but 66% of the people were at home, which is shocking to us,? Cuomo said.
?This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,? he added. ?We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we?ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.?
Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51.
He said the information shows that those who are hospitalized are predominantly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic. Cuomo said state health officials had thought a high percentage of people who were hospitalized would be essential employees, like health-care workers or city staff, who are still going to work.
?Much of this comes down to what you do to protect yourself. Everything is closed down, government has done everything it could, society has done everything it could. Now it?s up to you,? Cuomo said.
Tom

Offline incognito

• House Bee
Tom

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2020, 10:24:52 pm »
Either we have it or we don?t. Either we have had it or we haven?t. I suppose the testing will reveal that as well. What is this wide girth of testing for?
The antigen test is a useful measure of how far into the community the virus has spread.
There is no reason to remain closed once 100% (or less) of the community has been infected.
Tom

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2020, 04:32:37 am »
Increase the number of tests undertaken and yes you will find more cases. If the tests were for antibodies then how many of these cases were due to communication before isolation.

There is nothing new in this situation, start looking for something that is common and you are going to find it. 1% from jail and 2% from the homeless, come on really.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:15 am »
Increase the number of tests undertaken and yes you will find more cases. If the tests were for antibodies then how many of these cases were due to communication before isolation.

There is nothing new in this situation, start looking for something that is common and you are going to find it. 1% from jail and 2% from the homeless, come on really.

This is in line with an earlier study from somewhere that most infections came from someone within the home.  Higher rate of nursing home infections occurs under the same circumstances.  Lock people up and all they can do is breathe on each other and in NYC, they all live on top of one another so doubly not surprising.

Not sure how to square the jail population bit, but I don't really care.  This should not have been used as an excuse to turn 1000s of them loose on the rest of us.

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »
> Lock people up and all they can do is breathe on each other

Exactly. As in air travel for hours at a time crammed together, breathing the same air. And not only that, when these travelers get off the plane they disperse in every direction. Yet these officials want to arrest a mother with her kids at the park or a hiker etc. Either a hoax or stupid people who have TAKEN charge?

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2020, 08:27:56 pm »
I'll go with stupid people.  It most certainly is not a hoax, but as we learn more, it is not as deadly as first thought.

I don't blame people for making decisions based on the info in hand.  I blame them when they can't adjust when the info updates.
Alexis de Tocqueville